Pixelween 3 - B-Movies from Space!

icon
All challenges aside, I am still sponsoring this years Pixelween competition. Huzzah! You have a much longer time to compete and complete this contest than the weekly challenges. So there's no excuses.
The Contest:

Pixel a scene depicting a menacing alien and/or robot. Think retro science fiction movies such as:
The Almighty Rules:
  • Size: 250x140 (horizontal x vertical)
  • animation allowed
  • transparency allowed
  • 32 colours maximum
  • must be of a horror/scifi theme as mentioned already. We will not accept anything to do with E.T. or Alf. Do not play dumb and look for loopholes.
  • Absolutely no rips, photo traces, edits, etc.
  • Multiple submissions are allowed.
  • submissions will only be accepted beginning October 15th. This means don't submit something you doodled in 5 mins.
  • This is a vote free contest. You will not be able to vote yourself in this time. Judges will be anonymous but not able to win in the competition. This includes myself.
  • contest is open until October 29th.
The Prizes:

• Yes... there will be prizes for first, second, and third place winners.
  • Prizes to be announced later in the competition.
  • No refunds or exchanges without proof of purchase
Consult the Official Pixelween 3 thread in the forums for any questions you might have or to post your work in progress.

Have fun and good luck!

Posted by pixelblink @ 10/4/2007 10:12  |    40

Discussion

Beeblebrox (Level 5 Captain) @ 10/9/2007 20:21
Are we not using the filmstrip template this year?

Doomcreator0 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 10/9/2007 12:30
Oh lol, I just thought it'd have to like a mini movie poster. Oh well. Thanks

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/8/2007 23:20
woah... who said anything about making it a poster? Only the reference links happen to be posters because that's the easiest way to describe the style and theme of this contest

Doomcreator0 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 10/8/2007 14:46
The size is 250x140. Isn't that more of a wide piece? Aren't Poster's supposed to be like long?

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 10/8/2007 13:32
Like the "alien" from Contact?

Malor (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/7/2007 17:14
Fair enough.. I suppose I'll just not submit my entry, then.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/7/2007 16:34
I refuse to haggle with those wanting to blur the lines with the rules. Please keep in mind that I am judging this. If I don't feel it is worthy of the competition rules, it just won't win... simple as that. Some tough love for ya!

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/7/2007 13:10
Original is fine. B-movie from the mid 50s to early 60s inspired. c'mon guys.

inkspot (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/7/2007 11:49
Hmm, from the comments I understand there must be an alien that was seen in some movie, but the competition rules doesn't actually say it has to be from movies. I understand it as being only a movie like theme, not some actual movie itself. So which one is it?

Malor (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/7/2007 07:50
I don't mean this to be a loophole, just saying that it is a shape shifting alien, which chooses to be a clown in the story, but it is very clear it is not human, or a clown(especially near the end..). But, if it is a problem, I simply won't submit my entry to the competition.

FrankieSmileShow (Level 6 Manager) @ 10/7/2007 07:40
loophole! Something that really doesn't look like an alien in any way but that, in the movies' story, is told to be one!
I mean, might as well draw a random guy, make his skin green and put "its an alien btw" in caption. Laaame :P

I don't really know lots of alien movies though, I'm not sure of what ill draw...

Malor (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/7/2007 06:00
What?! I was under the impression the shape shifting manic clown was an alien.. In the book, "It" comes from a void beyond our universe..sounds like an alien to me D: You can of course correct me if I am mistaken, but I think that's how the story went.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 10/7/2007 04:55
How about 40 POUNDS!

Think I need to do this as I'm in some serious need of learning new pixel techniques. I notice that I hardly use AA in my work...

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/6/2007 20:21
"It" was not a scifi/horror movie. It doesn't feature any sort of alien or robot at all. Try again :)

Malor (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/6/2007 17:42
Ah well Cure, I am just furthering the fact of how unaware to culture I really am :D.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/6/2007 14:13
$40 - I'm in!!!

*wait, Canadian or US?

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/6/2007 13:15
There was definitely an "It" movie.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/6/2007 12:12
I don't know who edited my post but there's no $40 cash prize. There'll be prizes perhaps worth $40 but I'm not allowing any cash to be sent for this. Thank you to whomever decided not to consult me on this.

Malor (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/6/2007 05:59
hmm I suppose I couldn't do "It" by Stephen King could I?... Did they make a movie out of that?

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 10/5/2007 23:22
Definitely dig the retro sci-fi theme.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 10/5/2007 21:50
Hooray! I've already started on my entry.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 10/5/2007 17:43
Killer clown ... from outer space maybe?

inkspot (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/5/2007 15:59
Oo, I definately think there are no exuces this year, except the fact that now when I read this, it is still almost a week...

asukicco (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 10/5/2007 14:31
I istantly think: killer clown!

Doomcreator0 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 10/5/2007 12:44

I'm probably going to make mine called "Invaders"

Common but I think I could do it. I'm planning on if possible only using four colors :o

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/5/2007 10:55
Plan 9 From Outer Space

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 10/5/2007 08:32
If the prize is that tie, I promise the most epic pixel art you have never seen.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/5/2007 08:07
I am so ordering one of those ties.
Seeing as how I'm getting older, I'm gonna write in my will that I wish to be buried in it.
My will will also contain a request that I be photographed wearing it in my coffin, then color reduced and dithered with a zombie look, on a white useless BG. Last but not least submitted to the gallery under the handle 'BugSquash' and I only request every comment be flaming and hardcore name-calling with a link to iaza,com on each post.

Then some of you should make a B-movie version of the scene...until then you can pixel the movie poster ; )

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/5/2007 04:05
Yeah those ties are really cool!

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/5/2007 00:07
skamocore: that IS possibly the best tie ever!

Frankie: nope. I only made reference to the movies because the challenge relates to them. love the shirt idea. If you win, I'll see what I can do to accommodate :)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/4/2007 23:23

this should be one of the prizes

FrankieSmileShow (Level 6 Manager) @ 10/4/2007 17:15
I hope the prizes are very nerdy. Like a shirt that says I AM A PIXEL ARTIST FEAR MY SKILLS, with an angry-looking large pixelled face shaking its pixelled fist.

Also can it be a creation, or does it HAVE to be from a movie... Its not really clear from the post, it looks like you just gave the movies for monster examples.

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 10/4/2007 15:45

WHEEEE!!!  I'm so excited I could just spit!

But the anit-Alf comment just stings...

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/4/2007 14:30
Damn, I was hoping for a private island.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/4/2007 14:27
bigger than a pixel and smaller than a house.

Like I said, the prizes will be announced later in the competition. I am putting forth my own money for this so I don't wanna hear any bitching and moaning. Hell, last year we didn't even have any prizes and still got great submissions.

Also, there will be an official Pixelween 3 page set up sometime in the next week. Stay tuned

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/4/2007 14:14
*Raises hand* uhhhhhhh... what do the prizes look like?

Doomcreator0 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 10/4/2007 12:49
Seems awesome. It's basiclaly like a Sci-Fi alien invasion sort of thing eh? Awesome.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/4/2007 10:29
I just fixed all the links... but thanks for helping :) You can take em off your server as it's not a big deal

This Week's Pixel Art

Secretary birb icon/pixelartAconita icon/pixelartBus Station icon/pixelartHacker in the Rain icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app