Dwarf Fortress - Now in Iso!

icon

The roguelike Dwarf Fortress has been given a pixel make-over in the form of Stonesense, a third-party visualiser for the game which is currently in its third alpha release. Stonesense takes the original ASCII-based graphics and converts them into isometric visuals.

The open source mod is being developed by "Jonask" and "Solifuge" with graphics currently being created by members of the Dwarf Fortress community. Check out the official thread here.

Also, head over to TIGSource for more info, a screenshot and a video of Stonesense in action.

Posted by skamocore @ 11/4/2009 04:32  |    6

Discussion

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 11/15/2009 10:18

Excellent, thanks for this piece of news!

Antifarea (Level 4 Ensign) @ 11/8/2009 02:22

Congrats... I never heard of Dwarf fortress though... Not to discriminate but I wouldn't have bother playing it with the ascii graphics... pixel art does make a huge impact doesn't it?

I'll give it a shot whenever is out....

crab2selout.png (Level 4 Deputy) @ 11/6/2009 16:52

Strangely, I actually switched back to the ascii graphic set after learning how to visualise the game with a graphics pack. It ws my first time playing an ascii game so I was a little confused the first time around.

I'm not sure if you would have all the interesting let's play stories(boatmurdered, etc.) if this was a purty, highly rendered game.

asukicco (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 11/6/2009 05:28

Badass! Cool idea!

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 11/5/2009 01:01

Make the graphics better, then :) You can just edit the PNG files. More information about that here.

I used this program for a while yesterday and it's pretty awesome, although it did end up using over 700MB of my computer's memory before finally crashing. It's still a work in progress, so I guess it's excusable.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 11/5/2009 00:46

The graphics are not so good, but having it iso will allow me to AGAIN give it a try :D

This Week's Pixel Art

This War Has Gone on Long Enough icon/pixelartAgent icon/pixelartMoonlight Bouquet icon/pixelartDetective Pikachu icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app