Pixel Art Challenge: Slender Pixels

icon

The final challenge in our Halloween-o'-thon - using tall pixels, depict a scene based on the Slender Man myth. You should at least include these characteristics of Slender Man in your entry:

• Abnormally tall.
  • Lack of facial features.
  • Wearing a suit and tie.

Tall pixels mean that each pixel should be twice the height of a regular pixel. For some examples check out the previous tall pixel challenge. Remember to double check your pixels before submitting.

Canvas Size - Unrestricted. However, the height must be a multiple of 2.
Colours - Max 8.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore @ 10/29/2012 00:02  |    31

Discussion

Adam (Level 9 Major General) @ 11/5/2012 00:12

That stretching is quite tempting, with the actual theme, I say. I was planning to use a grid like this to surely avoid it, but I quit quickly while attempting to use it for the text.

Now I'm not sure whether it would be allowed. Do they count as tall pixels? With the frame cropped.

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/4/2012 16:34

Is the concept of tall/wide pixels so hard to understand? Half of the entries were obivously drawn for square pixels then just stretched vertically.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 11/3/2012 05:04

Well, the Amiga supported overlapping screens, so f.ex you could have entirely different screens at the bottom & top for the interface. Characters wouldn't need their own colors; Bobs (blitter objects) would share all the colors of its screen. Each Sprite pair would use a number of specific colors-indexes (but there are many tricks and hacks to squeeze more out of sprites).

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 11/2/2012 20:06

I sort of understand how they work with memory, but I'm a touch confused with hoew they effect gameplay and graphics. I was honestly thinking along the lines of the game Lionheart on the Amiga, which had very distinctive layers. So - 4 colours for a back ground, 4 colours for the play area, 4 colours for foreground and 4 colours for character, enemies and HUD elements.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 11/2/2012 13:59

No, it's about computer memory structure. Every bitplane represents a screen/layer with 1 bit of data...colors = 2^bitplanes. Bitplanes make up a screen just like bits would make up a Byte of memory. Four bitplanes: 2^4 = 16 colors/indexes.

Peyton (Level 7 Assassin) @ 11/2/2012 10:58

Dang, I completely misunderstood this challenge. I was almost done, then I looked at the other entries and realised how off I was.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 11/2/2012 08:21

Thanks DB =)
I probably won't get anything done for this challenge but I'm keen to do some tall pixels

Also, by 4 bitplanes that's like 4 layers right. So character, stage assets, BG parralax and BG?

You would think I'd have learnt all the terminology by now.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 10/31/2012 12:52

Amiga OCS Hires (Tall pixels), 640x256 pixels (Normal mode, PAL) with 16 colors max (4 bitplanes), from a 12bit-palette (16 shades of R,G & B = 4096 possible colors).

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/31/2012 12:46

More tall px inspiration:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 10/31/2012 08:41

Question anyone know of he other limitations to say the amiga modes that feature tall pixels. Pallet range, if there are char set limitations (sorry - been playing with the C64 of recent).

I probably won't get time to do this between exam study and NaNoWriMo but hey. I might do.

Ashkin (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 10/31/2012 00:57

Well, it would just be a bunch of tall pixels, except the tall pixels are always bunched together in groups of two.

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 10/30/2012 21:58

I don't think that would fall within the specifications.  It does say tall pixels, not just 2x pixels.

Ashkin (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 10/30/2012 21:55

Yes. However, that would defeat the purpose entirely. Don't do it.

Froggy-Art (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 10/30/2012 13:52

hey, can I make wide pixels (double pixels that are doubled horizontally)?

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/30/2012 11:20

Just remembered this piece of tall awesomeness =D

ReiFrag (Level 1 Private) @ 10/30/2012 06:41

it looks interesting but really hard to make :)

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/29/2012 23:22

Guys, use Grafx2, it allows drawing tall pixels and prevents errors!

SturmgewehrKreuz (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 10/29/2012 20:31

ooh.the restrictions are kinda hard for me.i gtta practice more...MORE!

El_Tortuga (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 10/29/2012 19:25

"Slender Pixels" "Tall Bunyan" That's very pun-ny of you.

Also, might join this as my first Challenge!

adamSrgnt (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 10/29/2012 15:05

No animation? You're killin' me.

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 10/29/2012 11:03

Hope that wasnt sarcastic. I like the theme, might join it, but not with 3 entries.

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 10/29/2012 10:40

Then you should have no trouble winning all three places again, Philippe.

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 10/29/2012 08:11

this sounds more like an activity then a challenge ~~ not really challenging.

Lóng (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/29/2012 07:08

Joining this one just because I've never worked with tall pixels.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/29/2012 05:31

Might do something coz tall pixels remind me of my first challenge =)

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 10/29/2012 04:43

The rules clearly state the requrement for tall pixels, and then state that the canvas height must be a multiple of 2, e.g. 32, 68 or any other even number (otherwise at least one row of pixels is not going to be "tall"). I don't really see what the confusion is all about :)

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 10/29/2012 03:47

It means that the height of the canvas must be the width x2, isn't it? Or this restriction only refers to the type of pixels?

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/29/2012 01:50

Ah, yes. I am blind.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/29/2012 01:38

I also did not get it, then I reread and realized that they are asking for tall pixels. I think the tall pixel requirement should be more clear in the description!!! Somehow it is easy to read over..

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/29/2012 01:31

What's the logic of the "multiple of 2" height? That's about as restrictive as "Max 256" colours.

Perhaps it was meant to be height two times the width?

Ashkin (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 10/29/2012 00:37

Pretty cool idea- though I think it would be better if it wasn't strictly restricted to Slenderman- perhaps being any seemingly normal yet creepy figure/character. Oh well. I've always wanted to try tall pixels anyway.

This Week's Pixel Art

Robo-Bob icon/pixelartFlying Drone icon/pixelartSamurai Jack and The Tower icon/pixelartRoll the Dice icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app