Image Specs issue?

icon

Manupix needs your help with a potential Image Specs issue!

You all know and use Yanrishatum's amazing Image Specs Tool, right? Good for you.

We have uncovered a potential issue with .png images (.gif files work fine): the returned hex codes might be wrong. So far this seems to happen on ONE computer (Manupix's) and NOT on Yanrishatum's.
We'd like you to help find out the root cause of the problem, by simply reporting if it works for you, or not.

Our test article is the Rose and Serenity challenge palette. As the brief indicates (and photoshop confirms), the correct hex codes are #F7CAC9 and  #92A8D1.
This is what the checker should report too, but it fails on Manu's comp: #8da5ce and #fcc6c6 are definitely wrong.

We suspect this could be related to the infamous 'png gamma correction' issue, but the reason why it doesn't affect all computers remains mysterious.

How you can help:

Just click this link and report the hex codes! Also please specify your OS & browser versions, especially if the results are wrong for you too.

Thank you!

Posted by Manupix @ 1/13/2016 07:20  |    21

Discussion

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/18/2016 10:14

Thanks everyone for the contributions! Time for some stats:

14 OK vs 6 bad so far. Breakdown by system/browser doesn't seem relevant:

OK:
OSX 2, W7 5, W8 2, W10 2
Chrome 5, Fx 4, Safari 2

Bad:
OSX 2, W7 3
Chr 3, Fx 2

All bad results are different, some are close, some not. This lends weight to Erico's idea about color profiles. I tried messing with my W7 color management settings, to no avail (I have a bug in there anyway ever since I tried plugging an ext monitor into my laptop).

More importantly, Yanrishatum's newer dev version apparently works like a charm, so a fix is definitely within reach! Congrats and kudos and cheers! =)

Volrak_Rutra (Level 6 SWAT) @ 1/18/2016 09:56

#92a8d1 and #f7cac9

win 10 pro x64

chrome

feiss (Level 5 Detective) @ 1/18/2016 08:06

Correct values, safari on ios 9.2 (iPad mini)

Yanrishatum (Level 4 Deputy) @ 1/18/2016 06:53

If someone has that problem and can't live without correct hex values, you can use dev version. Changed decoding to custom library, and colors in dev version is 100% correct, since they read directly PNG data, avoiding browser relying.

Link to dev version: http://yanrishatum.ru/pj/dev

If you have any feedback about it - don't hesitate to tell me.

Nether (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/17/2016 22:35

I seem to get the correct ones: #92a8d1 #f7cac9

Using Windows 7 Professional (64bit) and Chrome 47.0.2526.111 m

bakingSoda (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 1/17/2016 08:18

The right colors for me, #f7cac9 and #92a8d1.
I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate with Firefox 43.0.4

michelangelo (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/16/2016 15:52

#92a8d1 and #f7cac9
(Chrome 47.0.2526.111 m)

Erico (Level 4 Deputy) @ 1/16/2016 12:12

I get everything as expected here, all fine.

Win7 64bit using latest Chrome browser.

Also, I just did a full system installation on a formated disk, so the OS is as bland as it gets, nothing installed apart from Chrome.

You guys might also want to check the windows (or any other OS) color correction/color curve/profile as it can affect how images are displayed on certain programs, for example, on my last system, I´d get different colors on image viewer and photoshop where the latest is correct. I could be wrong with this hint though.

Cheers and best of luck on fixing this superbly awesome tool! If any more info needed, let me know.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 1/16/2016 07:01

I've always noticed PNG color issues, shame that it's still a problem today. PNGcrush usually fixes the issue.

Hex: #90a6cf, #f6c8c7

Yanrishatum (Level 4 Deputy) @ 1/16/2016 06:38

Ok-kay, considering that I can't trust browsers in PNG decoding - gonna use custom encoder in dev version of Inspector. Thanks for feedback. (JPG will use standart method, but who's such a mad man giving that tool JPG's?)

atprises (Level 6 Commander) @ 1/16/2016 04:40
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 on

- Chrome -> #8ba0cb and #f5c4c4 - wrong results

- Safari -> #92a8d1 and #f7cac9 - correct results

Finlal (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 1/16/2016 03:23

Tested on OSX Yosemite 10.10.3, chrome, got wrong results.
#91a9ce and #f9caca

Fusionnist (Level 10 Operative) @ 1/16/2016 01:44

Just joking, all fine here on win. 8

Ego (Level 6 Commander) @ 1/16/2016 00:09

FF43.0.4 on Windows 10 is all clear here.

Mr.Fahrenheit (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 1/15/2016 14:56

I get #92a7d0 for the blue and #f6c9c8 forf the pink

Im on windows 7 on chrome

Finlal (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 1/15/2016 13:44

Works ok on my side. (windows 7, chrome)

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 1/15/2016 13:20

Windows 7. The original image is correct everywhere but in FireFox (39.0) that will distort the values (and these persists if you save the file from FF).

Taertage (Level 1 Gangster) @ 1/15/2016 12:50

It works for me: #92a8d1, #f7cac9 (FF 43.0.3, Linux, openSUSE)

Fusionnist (Level 10 Operative) @ 1/15/2016 11:12

Im scared cuz it sayz 666 and you gona die wen I clik plz help.

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 1/15/2016 10:17

#f7cac9 & #92a8d1 for me - no issues here ( FF 42.0  windows 8.1)

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/15/2016 10:07

I don't have any issues with colors but then I only output as gif or png8 (index).
png24 (truecolor) will edit and shift colors.

I've added some links to this in the 2016 resolutions - Lose the Weight news item.

This Week's Pixel Art

Self Portrait icon/pixelartFern World map icon/pixelartDid you join the volunteers? [full poster] icon/pixelartMagic Mushroom icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app