Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 10/22/2012: No Pumpkins Allowed Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 10/22/2012: No Pumpkins Allowed
    Posted: 22 October 2012 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: No Pumpkins Allowed

Carve a jack-o'-lantern avatar out of any fruit or vegetable - except a pumpkin.

Canvas Size - Exactly 64 x 64.
Colour Count - Max 16.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The No Pumpkins Allowed pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2012 at 7:47am
Mister Mo Tarius!!!
IP IP Logged
brenninhowz
Seaman
Seaman

Quote brenninhowz Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2012 at 9:37am
oi, senhor pihllipejugnet.
j? sei que tu ja ganho essa parada
IP IP Logged
Whisper Heart
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Whisper Heart Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2012 at 9:44am

That suggest? =)
IP IP Logged
Bankrobber
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Bankrobber Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2012 at 2:47pm
Some criticism or advice?

IP IP Logged
Bokeblender
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Bokeblender Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2012 at 3:18pm
well dangit. This'll be hard.
IP IP Logged
Bokeblender
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Bokeblender Replybullet Posted: 22 October 2012 at 4:23pm
Might be finished IDK. C&C
IP IP Logged
Magides
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Magides Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 12:03am

Took me a while to think of a good idea. . . We all consider coconuts fruits, right ?

Edited by Magides - 23 October 2012 at 12:15am
IP IP Logged
Adam
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Adam Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 2:42am
Now I have to figure out how to make a jack-o'-lantern out of...

a BROCCOLI!

or not:

Edited by Adam - 23 October 2012 at 2:53am
IP IP Logged
clefairykid
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote clefairykid Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 4:15am
@Magides - when I teach science to primary school children, I teach them that it's a seed ;)

@Adam - I really like that idea you've got there, looks like it'll be awesome with some shading c:

@Bokeblender - I'm not sure about the mouth of the eggplant, or at least I think it's a mouth :P is that a creature inside it? Also, which direction is the lighting source coming from? As the light area appears to be fairly straight and down the center of the object at the moment.

@bankrobber - that looks like an awesome start, although really different and angular, I guess I would say consider how to add some more contrast or depth, as it is a little light/flat all over.

I have made my fruit but cannot think of a way to make a nice background for it... I love transparency, so I don't know what to do without it, especially since I'm already at 13 (or 15 with my attempts at a background) colours too ><
>
ugh do not like that background, not enough contrast between that and the subject but I'm just at a loss for ideas...
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:58am
I was going to enter then realized if I submit something I wouldn't be able to add it to my avvy sheet and expect anyone to listen when I bitch about redundant art in the gallery...but still made a quicky using the only veggie that can be my bug shape

*done before seeing adam's WIP
IP IP Logged
Cysteine
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Cysteine Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 10:13am
I think I've finished ! =)

Edited by Cysteine - 23 October 2012 at 10:25am
IP IP Logged
gogglecrab
Commander
Commander

Quote gogglecrab Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 11:04am
Here's the Entry I'm working on :

I'm going for a day of the dead style jack-o-lantern pepper!

Can't wait to see clefairykid's & adam's complete, looking good guys!

Edited by gogglecrab - 23 October 2012 at 11:08am
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

Quote dpixel Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by jalonso

I was going to enter then realized if I submit something I wouldn't be able to add it to my avvy sheet and expect anyone to listen when I bitch about redundant art in the gallery...but still made a quicky using the only veggie that can be my bug shape

I'm Assuming this is corn?  Kind of looks like a peanut.  
hehe (ಠ_ಠ ) o_- :p
IP IP Logged
quickflint
Seaman
Seaman

Quote quickflint Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 12:49pm

here's what I have so far.  I am coming close to the color count but I am pretty happy about it so far.  What is the opinion on dithering? Is it better to go random on something like this or would random work well?

I hope you guys can tell what I am going for >.>
IP IP Logged
quickflint
Seaman
Seaman

Quote quickflint Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 1:59pm
So I decided to keep working and I am nearly finished! I made a gif for it too but it sucks.

It kinda looks like a little stamp!

IP IP Logged
clefairykid
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote clefairykid Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 2:19pm
I'm not sure if it's just my software/eyes but that isn't anywhere near the colour limit o -0 I went to save for web and devices and it hit the window limit of showing 256 colours XD The challenge requires no more than 16...

Ensure you don't use tools that create automatic AA (anti-aliasing) such as soft edged brushes or smudge/blur tools. Also, it appears to be a little one hued, although I used the colour picker and it showed you were moving a little bit along the colour spectrum, but I would say not nearly enough, move towards the blue end for shadows and the yellow end for highlights, and don't be afraid to keep changing up the hues in the midtones too, because that is where I see it staying the same at the moment.

As for the dithering, I don't really like it when people use just the first stage (checkerboard), either go for something textured like kiwinuptuo's style (dA artist you can google) or try to use additional stages of the traditional dither (which you can find here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299 ) or combine the two, depending on what looks best for each subject. I find that the first stage only in this case, makes the shading of the light straight harsh lines that don't really reflect the depth of the oval shape. The light should probably curve more I imagine. And the mouth is a little too light all over, and one hued, I think it may need more than two colours to give a sense of depth with reflected light from the flame.
IP IP Logged
quickflint
Seaman
Seaman

Quote quickflint Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 2:42pm
I think the reason it's getting so many colors might be because Tinypic is doing something to it when I upload it?  When I saved it out and uploaded it it was at exactly 16  Each one is depicted in the little spectrum box in the top left.  Maybe I am doing something wrong and I don't know about it D:

I was trying to stay in a small area of the color spectrum because it was recommended in the tutorial I read.  This is only like the 5th pixel piece I have ever made.  I wanted to make the inside red instead of just doing green throughout or a gray scale because I wanted to make sure it was obviously a watermelon.  I only used MSpaint until I made the gif where I made only a few edits to the still and the gif.  I also only ever used the pencil tool in both programs and made sure not to let it AA for me.  Any AA I tried to do intentionally D:

I feel like I must be doing something wrong when I save it or something??

Thanks for the advice on the color.  I'll see if I can change it up a little bit!
IP IP Logged
clefairykid
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote clefairykid Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:36pm
It might be that your saving it in a format the compresses the image, so anything like a .jpg will make it go blurry etc, Make sure that the programs you use don't convert the image into a format the compresses the image, and also that it doesn't automatically resize things, as that can also cause extra colours and blurriness, even if it's only adjusting by one pixel, it will do that :P

I'm actually really shocked that a tutorial recommended little or no hue variation, it's pretty much been the turning point in my understanding of colour theory and has made a big difference to all my art, not just pixel art.

I'm still learning and I'm not the best at picking palettes, but I just made this by mucking around with hue shifting:

The greens might be of use, but I don't think the pinky colours are really what you want to for the flesh of the fruit, but hey, feel free to use any of that if it helps XP (that goes for anyone reading this, it's just some random colour examples lol)
IP IP Logged
quickflint
Seaman
Seaman

Quote quickflint Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 9:21pm

My classmate showed me how to fix my issue with the colors! I am hoping this works because it only seems to be on this forum where all the colors show up?

Also I went over the tutorial and it told me to start off using a one color pallet with different saturation.  I never really found anything that went into detail on how to use color.  The colors here I chose at random.  I'll search through this forum for some  tutorials on that!  I am pretty proud of this guy though. :D
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 23 October 2012 at 9:50pm
I might join this week, with my favorite vegetable:

Edited by Hapiel - 23 October 2012 at 10:09pm
IP IP Logged
Adam
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Adam Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2012 at 4:04am
Some progress:

Somehow I cannot achieve nice, clearly defined shapes there.

Edited by Adam - 24 October 2012 at 4:03am
IP IP Logged
clefairykid
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote clefairykid Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2012 at 4:58am
@quicklfick, as I mentioned, kiwinuptuo does a great job of explaining here http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Art-Tutorial-Colors-184802567 but there is a lot of technical talk there, which can be a bit confronting/confusing to start with, I recommend focusing on that rainbow spectrum image with the suns and moons on it, that's where I eventually had my light bulb moment of where to move on the spectrum. As you can see on my little random example palettes, the first for green moves hues a lot, but still looks essentially "green" especially when combined into an actual image. I think the reason a lot of people put off the idea of learning hue shifting is because they mistakenly think it will mean that they need to change the colour of a character's design from an orange shirt to a red one, but it's not, you change the shadows and highlights the most but it creates an illusion as such of that colour with a more vibrant sense of depth. I really want one day to make a tutorial of my own that can help others have the light bulb moment much quicker, as I admit it took me a long time to understand it, and even now I can't make connecting colour ramps XD

@Hapiel - looks awesome already, such vibrant colours C:

@Adam, looks like good progress, maybe the flourishes from the face distract from their intended shape? I like them but it can make the mouth areas a little more confusing at first glance. Have to say the lighting is great though, very dramatic.

Another potential background:
it's better detail wise but it really doensn't help the subject stand out... blaahhh

Edited by clefairykid - 24 October 2012 at 6:02am
IP IP Logged
Bokeblender
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Bokeblender Replybullet Posted: 24 October 2012 at 11:59am
Maybe using a dark background would be nice. DOn't reallyknow if I like the eyes blinking, because Its supposed to be jack-o-latern.
IP IP Logged
AirStyle
Commander
Commander

Quote AirStyle Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2012 at 12:00am
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've done anything, but here's my entry I worked on for about half an hour. How does it look so far?

I'm thinking about making a fire-like BG for it later.

P.S. It's a dragonfruit, just in case you don't see it (I really hope you do )

Edited by AirStyle - 25 October 2012 at 12:01am
IP IP Logged
Bokeblender
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Bokeblender Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2012 at 11:51am
the leaves are a little strange... What plant is it?
IP IP Logged
AirStyle
Commander
Commander

Quote AirStyle Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2012 at 11:58am
@Bokeblender: It's a dragonfruit (I said it, actually)
IP IP Logged
Bokeblender
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Bokeblender Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2012 at 2:31pm
Ah, now I see XD

Well As much as I like it, the leaves look rainbow colored.
IP IP Logged
AirStyle
Commander
Commander

Quote AirStyle Replybullet Posted: 25 October 2012 at 3:33pm
I was trying to get a bluish shadow mixed with the natural pink color of the fruit.
IP IP Logged
AirStyle
Commander
Commander

Quote AirStyle Replybullet Posted: 28 October 2012 at 12:14pm
Quick question: would it be bad to pull colors from a reference picture? I have a picture of a fruit I want to do, and I want to sample the colors from it for my palette. Can I do that?
IP IP Logged
Super17
Commander
Commander

Quote Super17 Replybullet Posted: 28 October 2012 at 1:56pm
Sure you can. But in most cases, it's not the best way to get the colors, because at a photo, many colors at a small area gives you the impression of the a single color you like by seeing the area in distance. Pick the color and adjust it, until you get the impression you want and you see at the photo. Or try a multi eyedropper tool which can pick the colors in that area together.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version