Rear Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Topic: [OPP] General Discussion
    Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:42am
OPP threads:
Style guide
Contribute: Jungle set

Hey guys,

I thought I'd explain some more about the Open Pixel Platformer project. I have been in contact trough private messages with many of you, but it couldn't hurt to put the conclusions out here.

History
Way back there was the PJ game. A plan that was suggested multiple times and once there even was a collection of sprites and tiles made around the PJ nerd. Lack of organisation made the participants give up hope.

Also, there have been many many open source community build game projects that have a lack of artists. They find it hard to attract creative minds to their plans and the games often lack originality.

It is time for an art focussed community game to rise. A game where artists get to decide how the game will look and feel.

Creating a game is a lot of work, the goal of creating a game is still far far away. Therefore we start just with the first step: creating a CC-BY licensed tile and spriteset. Even if the final goal of a complete game is never reached, we give a quality tileset to the community.

After bouncing ideas back and forth with many PJ members such as Surt, Skeddles, Flyguy, Gecimen, RileyFierey, Dawnbringer, Ellian and many more the decision to create a multiverse platformer set was made.
Thus, the open pixel platformer was born.

The plan
There is a palette, there is a style guide, so we can get started on content creation.
I have opened a jungle set which is open to contribution of all kind. Anyone can open a set as well and moderate this, as long as all the content gets CC-BY licensed. I will package the tiles nicely so that they are well sorted out & easy to use. Also this package will contain information about its creators for proper attribution.

Creation does not necessary need to happen on the PJ forums, I hope to be able to get similar threads going on at OpenPixelart.org , WayofthePixel.org , TIGsource.com , Spriters-Resource.com etc. If you are a moderator or active member of a community with pixel artists, feel free to contact me and see how we can promote the OPP best :)

Why would one contribute?
Of course it is fun and practise to make pixels. Also many artists like me enjoy seeing their work used in computer games. Since all artwork is CC-BY licensed it is very likely that this will happen in one way or another.
As everyone is free to edit your work you might get to see your art from a different direction, an experience to learn from!
Of course in any use of this art the creator(s) should be attributed, the OPP might make some advertisement for you!
Last but not least, does it not feel great to give things away? So how about giving things away to the world? That you have made yourself? This gift might stick around until the end of time!

The future
Once some basic tiles are done, the next step is to get some people to look into game design. I hope to get this discussion going over at TIGsource.com , who have experience designing the TIGbrawl game.
A story gets written, charters are designed, game objectives are set, etc.
This will allow the artist to have a better image of what needs to be done.
For example, it is good to know if your tileset needs signs, breakable blocks, pushable objects etc.
Also collectibles, powerups and whatnot needs to be drawn, but this can only be done once the game design becomes more clear.

Right now the only definition of the game is: An action platformer game featuring multiple locations/eras/dimensions/universes

If the designing phase goes well and the required sprites and tiles are getting finished we might attract attention from interested programmers looking for a challenge!

Of course it might also very well be possible that programmers start working on games with our material without our great plans. After all it is CC-BY licensed and everyone can do with it whatever they want. The future will tell what happens :).

In the future the OPP might get it's own website where artists who contributed a lot of material get exposed, you can download art packs for free and join the OPP discussion forum.

F.A.Q.
  • Can I submit art for the OPP to the PJ gallery?

Of course, I encourage you! However, note that the PJ rules state that everything you submit must be 100% made by you (in few exceptions they allow colored line art from someone else). So no edits you did on other peoples work

• Should I license my work
Yes, yes please please make a public statement somewhere that all the work, edits etc you do for the OPP are licensed under a CC-BY licensed. The more clear the better! I might be required to ask everyone later one who has not done this for such a statement to make sure everyone feels comfortable using this kit. This of course might get complicated if someone makes an base, other people edit it and later on the original creator decides not to license it...
The point is to make a free to use set. For this it needs to be obvious that the set is free.
Of course all creators get attributed!

That is it for now.
Leave ideas, plans, encouraging comments etc below and of course, contribute!

Edited by Hapiel - 09 June 2013 at 10:31am
IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 1:37pm
Since I don't want to make a thread for this project myself (I don't want to step on anyone's toes), how do these fit in with the style/color guide?

23 colors and a transparency, all objects 32x32. Feel free to make edits/changes if you like.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 2:22pm
Hey Stephen,
Thanks for your reply!
Crates will always come in handy at some moment!

It almost fits the style guide, just watch a few things:
Try to avoid dithering in objects and characters, only in backgrounds there could be minor dithering.
Also try and avoid black (out)lines, choose a dark color closer to the object color instead.

I made a quick edit showing what I mean.

As you can see in the second image the dithering is removed and the outlines are changed.

The second thing I did is not in the style guide, this you will learn with experience. From straight front this object looks a bit boring. For this reason I have turned it around for a tiny bit.

If you can put this under a CC-BY license (a link to the license next to the artwork will do) this can be included in the project! Feel free to continue on my edit or try and replicate the result yourself :)

IP IP Logged
StoneStephenT
Commander
Commander

Quote StoneStephenT Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 5:21pm
I took your advice to heart and did a few edits to the chests on both the outline and coloring styles. I also used the crossdither chart found in the thread for the DB32 palette to craft some new colorations for the chests with slightly better gradients.

(Took me an extra two hours.)

As far as licensing and whatnot goes: I tend to forgo copyrights and put most of what I do in the public domain. Feel free to use, copy, modify, redistribute, and otherwise run wild with my images as you see fit. :)

[Edit: of course I didn't check everything and ended up with a band of 'discolored' pixels in the first chest. Blargh. Didn't mean for that to happen, honest!]

Edited by StoneStephenT - 22 May 2013 at 5:24pm
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2013 at 7:17am
Hey guys,
Next week I want to start two new creation topics:
One on pixelation and one here on PJ.

On Pixelation the theme will be 'cave', and will of course match the style of the jungle set. Stones, torches, stalagmites, crystals, maybe mining gear, maybe a hidden underground labaratory, bats, spiders, maybe lava etc etc.
Should I try and create some base tiles for this, does someone else want to give that a try or should a template be sufficient?

Here on PJ I will make some extra promotion (front page news post), and for all these contributors it will be easier to get involved if there is a more empty post, the jungle set is already getting more and more chaotic (thanks to your wonderful contributions!)
What theme should a new set on PJ have? All suggestions are welcome.
Some ideas of mine:
Western desert: Cowboys, cactusses and saloons
Ice age: dinosaurusses, fred flintstone buildings, fires, frozen trees etc.
Underwater world: Seahorses, squids, seaweed, sunken ships
Medival town / victorian town / whatever
Please suggest something cool for a new OPP set!
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2013 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Hapiel

Western desert: Cowboys, cactuses and saloons

This please.
IP IP Logged
Ellian
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ellian Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2013 at 8:40am
I'd go with something that fit the jungle/cave theme; not as an extension (the goal is to have different themes, right?), but as something that would smoothly transition to either jungle or cave.

I mean, you wouldn't jump straight from sci-fi to western. Might as well try to have something that would quickly go together?
(hopefully though, we WILL reach a point where we have both a western and sci-fi theme :D)

I'd go with a village, since jungle/cave already are... well, gameplay/exploration/fighting areas.
Medieval/Victorian/Ice age (without ice?) town?

That, or underwater world (could be easy to jump into a lake when you reach the end of the jungle area, and/or have your cave lead into the ocean or something).

To be added to your list of theme ideas :
Volcanic area, sewers, mad scientist lab, clockwork area, housing (interiors for castles, taverns, houses, etc) (era to be defined), micro/macro area (character reduced to ant size), graveyard, lost mechanical city (think Elder scroll Dwemer areas)...
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2013 at 10:29am
Ellian, you are my favorite idea man ever :).

I agree that a village area would be practical. Maybe the Western desert has to wait for a bit? The medieval village would possibly be easier to connect to the jungle..
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2013 at 8:26pm
I started making tiles for a medieval house. Going for the tudor style. I'll post the tiles when I'm finished and when the topic is up.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 6:23am
Hey guys,
I am looking for someone who would be interested in moderating the second thread. NumberPlay, Would you perhaps be up for this?

I will be gone in the next few days and coming back Sunday, by then I will reorganize the main topics in the threads and the fun can start! :D
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Hapiel

Hey guys, I am looking for someone who would be interested in moderating the second thread. NumberPlay, Would you perhaps be up for this?I will be gone in the next few days and coming back Sunday, by then I will reorganize the main topics in the threads and the fun can start! :D

I'll be back to helping from Saturday onwards.
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 06 June 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Numberplay

I started making tiles for a medieval house. Going for the tudor style.

Well I submitted it to the gallery. Do I need permission to start the village thread?

Edited by Numberplay - 06 June 2013 at 3:59pm
IP IP Logged
Naveed123
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Naveed123 Replybullet Posted: 10 June 2013 at 5:49am
 this is very very nice and Of course it is fun and practise to make pixels. Also many artists like me enjoy seeing their work used in computer games. Since all artwork is CC-BY licensed it is very likely that this will happen in one way or another.
As everyone is free to edit your work you might get to see your art from a different direction, an experience to learn from!
Of course in any use of this art the creator(s) should be attributed, the OPP might make some advertisement for you!
Last but not least, does it not feel great to give things away? So how about giving things away to the world? That you have made yourself? This gift might stick around until the end of time!
IP IP Logged
Club Beuker
Commander
Commander

Quote Club Beuker Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2013 at 5:23am
Adding some two cents: How about a cemetery/graveyard level?

I can see a solid connection with a town/village level.
Without me, it's just aweso
IP IP Logged
Numberplay
Commander
Commander

Quote Numberplay Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2013 at 8:16am
You should have posted this as an idea in the village thread. Maybe it can work as a level alone but sometimes it fits nicely in a village. I'll add it in the thread.
IP IP Logged
Cheetah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Cheetah Replybullet Posted: 13 June 2013 at 8:47pm
A programmer and myself are working on an endless runner game project geared towards mobile that is using some of the current Open Pixel Project graphics. Introducing Codename Zookeeper! I wanted to let people here know so that you could see what your amazing work is contributing to and to insure that I was appropriately crediting this group.

The game is obviously in very early stages and doesn't even take advantage of all the currently available OPP graphics currently up. I look forward to seeing what else comes out of the OPP and perhaps making some contributions to the graphics bank.
IP IP Logged
surt
Commander
Commander

Quote surt Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2013 at 7:56pm
Been trying to start a cliff/mesa type tileset.
First attempt didn't work, though may be redeemable for some underwater rock.

Tried a few concept thumbs but none of them really feel to work with existing OPP stuff.
IP IP Logged
Squirrelsquid
Commander
Commander

Quote Squirrelsquid Replybullet Posted: 16 June 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by surt

Been trying to start a cliff/mesa type tileset.
First attempt didn't work, though may be redeemable for some underwater rock.

Tried a few concept thumbs but none of them really feel to work with existing OPP stuff.

the redish one, could go for sand, IMO. I like the edged tan stone. maybe they could become some nice edged marble pillars?

not sure about the doodles. maybe add some smoother transitions, and in the case were it is meant to be a platform to be faded into black? also incorperate blank/one color tiles a lot, with this, I would say.

some of those textures do look pretty interesting though.
vote for squirrels crates!
IP IP Logged
gogglecrab
Commander
Commander

Quote gogglecrab Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2013 at 10:35pm
If I have an idea for a set I wanna post, would that mean I monitor the thread myself? Or do I just suggest it?
IP IP Logged
DawnBringer
Commander
Commander

Quote DawnBringer Replybullet Posted: 24 June 2013 at 11:46am
Bump!!!
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 24 June 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by gogglecrab

If I have an idea for a set I wanna post, would that mean I monitor the thread myself? Or do I just suggest it?

Hey Gogglecrab,

Yes, you could start a thread yourself though I think there is enough going on at the moment. Suggesting it here first would be a great idea nonetheless to see if there are people interested in your idea!

Also, I am back and getting soon to work on the organization part! Expect something :)
IP IP Logged
gogglecrab
Commander
Commander

Quote gogglecrab Replybullet Posted: 24 June 2013 at 8:06pm
Ah yes, I realize that; At the moment I'm busy contributing with the village set, I was just curious for future reference! Once things calm down a bit I do have some idea's to share though.

Thanks for all your help Hapiel! :)

Edited by gogglecrab - 24 June 2013 at 8:07pm
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 25 June 2013 at 6:44pm
All these awesome characters

Should perhaps an aditional character thread be created so that these can be finished, animated, etc? They are mostly not really set related anyway.
Anyone up for starting and monitoring it?
IP IP Logged
guima1901
Seaman
Seaman

Quote guima1901 Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2013 at 12:05am

I put that skull in a body.. is it ok?
IP IP Logged
surt
Commander
Commander

Quote surt Replybullet Posted: 30 June 2013 at 1:36am
CC-BY
Tried some shroom forest style platforms. Again don't really fit the style. I can't do clean. :(
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 30 June 2013 at 7:52am
Even though not is style, I really dig those !
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 23 December 2014 at 4:50pm
Bump, this topic disappeared for no reason
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 02 February 2016 at 10:18am
Maybe you OPPers might want to open a store and just have your sets available for free or the most minimal amount possible which would generate usage of all your great work and the site can offer real cheap quality pixels which they probably won't mind.
They do take a cut of sales some maybe there must be a price...

anyhoo...thinking of you guys.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version