OPP
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : OPP
Message Icon Topic: Name a programming language for the game. Post Reply Post New Topic
IllicitPixel
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote IllicitPixel Replybullet Topic: Name a programming language for the game.
    Posted: 07 July 2013 at 10:03pm
Please give a programming language you think should be used to program the game.

Personally I want Java.

Another question: Will it be web based or downloadable?

Personally I want downloadable.

Edited by IllicitPixel - 07 July 2013 at 10:09pm
IP IP Logged
Skykanden
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Skykanden Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2013 at 5:15am
I would go for C#
You need to do it reeeeeeeally well to make it work well in Java, and yeah desktop game indeed.

Edited by Skykanden - 12 July 2013 at 5:15am
IP IP Logged
theether
Seaman
Seaman

Quote theether Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2013 at 6:46am
It doesn't really matter, right?
Every language should be able to implement a platformer.

I'm gonna use flash (as3) for it
IP IP Logged
programgamer
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote programgamer Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2013 at 2:59pm
Can we please name pros and cons for each language? Making uninformed decisions is probably not a good idea...

C++

Pros:
+Best/close to best performance if used well
+Lots of freedom regarding features
+Many libraries for making games

Cons:
-Hard to use
-If not used well, can cause catastrophic results. (even worse than a bluescreen of death)
-We have to define some kind of rules on how to implement stuff, and we gotta have a source controll thingie to be able to develop features in groups.

Edited by programgamer - 12 July 2013 at 2:59pm
IP IP Logged
Skykanden
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Skykanden Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2013 at 4:27pm
C++ means work and more work, and let's not talk about how old it is, better than C++ is Java.
But if you like C++ and you think it should be multiplatform try QML from QT, it can run Javascrips, c++ classes and it's a declarative language which means that it's easy to use.
IP IP Logged
Disthron
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Disthron Replybullet Posted: 18 July 2013 at 1:11am
Hi everyone, I'm new here. But this project sounds interesting. We could make the engine in Multimedia Fusion 2. In fact perhaps we could do a cross community project with the "Clickers". Many of us are much better at code then we are at art.

Pros:
+ easy to use
+ good community support
+ low system requirements
+ very flexible
+ exports to a lot of platforms

Cons:
- you can only edit the code within MMF2
- many of the exporters you have to buy
- 32bit program means a 2gig project file size limit
- not optimized for 3D

Anyway, that's my take on it. What are your thoughts?
IP IP Logged
Asmodeusss
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Asmodeusss Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2015 at 11:48pm
Why not unity? Its an engine, not a language, but it has ridiculously good multi-platform usability. The one downside that people name is that it can at times be slower than usual, but for a pixel game this would hardly even be an issue.
IP IP Logged
PixelPopper
Seaman
Seaman

Quote PixelPopper Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2015 at 2:53pm
I posted some days ago in 'collaboration' that I'd happily make a game for some of you guys, but so far I had only requests from teams that I could join... but I'd rather want to contribute to this forum... so...

I thought it would be nice to create some way so you pixel-artist could maybe create (or at least mock up) some game levels and view those in motion.

I thought the best would probably be to allow you to work with art tools (photoshop/gimp/?), thus show what you create in there.

I also thought, instead of creating fancy formats, tools and ways of handling things, I rather stick to existing, that's why I've implemented a gif reader for all images and animations.

well, that's what a day of work has ended up with:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/quhzwfmd6zm6nd9/PomPom001.7z?dl=0
you need to download it, extract to a folder.
on top download this: ( > 9MB)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EsD8QYy0C84/Tlw7ZWzsB_I/AAAAAAAACps/3wrxrhikIN0/w401/Hats_Micael_Reynaud.gif
and put it into the folder

how it works is (hopefully) quite simple
in the "index.txt" you can specify a resolution and a level to load
the example level is "level.txt" and you can specify layer (like in photoshop/gimp) and they will be shown in that order.
you can specify a "Speed" parameter that defines how fast it will scroll. 0 is useful for the UI as you dont want it to move, it's also the top most layer, of course.
specifying 1 means it moves one pixel per frame and the drawing is done with 60Hz, so you'll have 60pixel/second.

the "V1" on top of the files is always a version number, if for some reason compatibility would break, I'd dump the version and all your old files hopefully still work, but you can adapt to newer features with higher version if you want.

to make the file format easy, I haven't used fancy xml, json or scripting languages. its always just a parameter that gets a value assigned (parameter=value)
to allow some hierarchy, you simply prefix parameters with spaces, just like you'd watch some file-system tree.
I hope that's simple.

you can use and share it for anything non commercial you want. (Don't claim it's yours, but you don't need to make awful credits just to show someone your work in motion).

bugs, feature requests etc. are welcome.
IP IP Logged
DDR
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote DDR Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2015 at 9:56pm
If you can pull off this, PixelPopper, it'll be quite nice. I'm currently failing at keeping my own attempt at https://github.com/DDR0/open_pixel_platformer up to date.
IP IP Logged
sbonavida
Seaman
Seaman

Quote sbonavida Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2017 at 3:30am
Hello people,

Did you think about "Phaser"?

Phaser is a framework for videogames, it's open source and fully free. He is writen in javascript and it's multiplataform and web.

I think that the philosophy behind this framework it's very close to OPP.

https://phaser.io/

Currently, I use it for making "Graphic Stories" of my blog, and I will show this stories with pixel art in my channel of youtube.

An example:
Pixel art stories

(Sorry, Stories are in spanish). :-P

Kindest regards.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version