OPP
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : OPP
Message Icon Topic: Setting a first milestone?? Post Reply Post New Topic
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Topic: Setting a first milestone??
    Posted: 14 August 2013 at 4:38am
Hey guys,

There is so much exciting things going on! The game that is being developed, the character style that is being overhauled and the wiki that will soon be online again.

As soon as the wiki is online I would like to contact all the people who have been involved in the past about all the amazing stuff that has been going on, perhaps drawing them back in!

Of course this new interest will allow us to get a lot of additional things done. To get this going in a good direction I would like to set some clear goals for a first milestone. This topic is to discuss what should be on the first milestone list.

The idea so far (thank Jim16 for it):

Milestone 1
  • Walking/running, jumping for at least one character
  • A playable jungle area and a playable cave area
  • 2 different NPCs idle animation
  • 2 different monsters with walking animations
  • Presenting the project on one publicly accessible page

Other suggestions:
Interaction between player and monster? Collectible item? 4 playable levels with a beginning and an end so the game becomes 'playable'?

Of course all these things will be split up in proper todo lists on their wikipedia pages, and while this is the bare minimum everybody will remain to be able to add whatever they feel like.

What do we do when we reach the milestone? We celebrate, promote and start thinking actively about the game/story/feature design...

So yeah, what do you guys think should be in this first milestone? Would a fully playable game be reachable within a month? That would require some more monster animations, some decisions on attacking, some more interesting platforms (such as the tree!) but the challenge might push us forward.
Or stick to the bare minimum?

Edited by Hapiel - 14 August 2013 at 1:25pm
IP IP Logged
guima1901
Seaman
Seaman

Quote guima1901 Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2013 at 4:57am
First we need to think what kind of game it is going to be. If there will be monsters or just real creatures such as bats and frogs. How will the player deal with the mobs (kill mosters by atacking, jumping on their heads, or just try to pass past them without being hit). Will the game focus on jumping correctly on plataforms like mario? ( games like this need diferent tiles that are made thinking on the structure of the level).
And we need to set a theme for the story so that we won't make too many useless sprites.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2013 at 6:42am
What we've already made is already defining the world the game will take place in. Things we know about the world without a defined story:
- There are many, vastly different cultures.
- The story takes place in an expansive, large world, which the character will explore to reach his goal. Right now this includes, Jungle, Cave, Modern Town, Tribal Village, and Temples.
- Each of these areas will have enemies, probably monsters.

The world we're making is fictional, and probably more fantasy than realistic. So yeah, we've made monsters, and made up a tribe. We'll probably continue to do so. I hope that answers your first question Guima.

How will the player deal with the enemy AI, kill mosters by attacking, jumping on their heads, or just try to pass past them without being hit?

Why not both? Variety is the spice of life as they say. And an unbeatable enemy presents an interesting obstacle.

Will the game focus on jumping correctly on platforms like mario? ( games like this need different tiles that are made thinking on the structure of the level).
I don't understand what you're asking. Plus, I think this is mainly down to the programmer.

This first milestone is fully capable of being reached within a week or two. The idea of this first milestone is to;
1. create a platform on which to work on by implementing the bare minimum. This will set us up well in preparation for a story, that as a community we can explore as a main goal for our next milestone.
2. Give the programmer(s) something to target.
3. Have a final product in which to promote the OPP. Everyone loves running around a few rooms with pretty much nothing in it.
4. Feel like we've achieved something.

Edited by Jim16 - 14 August 2013 at 6:56am
IP IP Logged
guima1901
Seaman
Seaman

Quote guima1901 Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2013 at 6:53am
I don't understand what you're asking. Plus, I think this is mainly down to the programmer.

When I said that I was thinking about plataforms that move and if you jump wrong you will probably die or something.

What you were describing before you said it was more fantasy reminded me of Indiana Jones. We could put some traps and puzzles in the game.

Edited by guima1901 - 14 August 2013 at 6:55am
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 14 August 2013 at 1:25pm
So, to the first milestone I would also like to add:
Presenting our idea as good as we can. Probably in a wiki page.
That is: Clear links to the game demo, PJ forum, pretty screenshots and animation examples, clear link to the style guide, rewritten style guide. Also those things Jim16 mentioned about the game should be on there.

I guess I will take responsibility for making this happen.
Agreed that it should be part of the milestone?
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 26 October 2013 at 1:42pm
In regards to setting up milestones, any chance we could get the overall milestones stickied and updated with the completed portion of the milestones? This might be done more easily on the Wiki, but milestones are a pretty major part of the process and should stand out from the other topics.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 29 October 2013 at 5:06pm
2 NPC idles goal met!
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 18 November 2013 at 10:32am
I added the list of milestones to the Wiki for easy updating.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 November 2013 at 8:26am
[S]I'll do some more work on reaching the 1st milestone this week. [/S]

Edit: Actually I think I'll be doing more self studies. I just can't get motivated for this project at the moment

Edited by Damian - 20 November 2013 at 7:49am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version