OPP
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : OPP
Message Icon Topic: Converting to Public Domain (cc0) Post Reply Post New Topic
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Topic: Converting to Public Domain (cc0)
    Posted: 04 May 2015 at 10:47am
Hi all,

We, the OPP team have decided to try and convert all the current (and future) assets of the OPP to the public domain. More specifically, a cc0 license.

Until now we used the CC-BY-3.0 license, which allows the assets to be used for any purpose as long as the creators are credited. However, this has a few complications which we weren't aware of when this project started:

• License improvements can't be processed. CC-BY-4.0 came out a year ago, but we can't use it on our new assets. New work is based and mixed with old work, we can't keep those apart.
  • CC-BY 3.0 poses a technical restriction on the use of assets: You are not allowed to prevent any user from copying the assets such as encryption or DRM. This means that if you use a platform that automatically protects this, you can't use the OPP assets. For this same reason OpenGameArt created the OGA-BY 3.0 license which is identical to CC-BY 3.0 except for this restriction.
  • If your whole project is under a different license, such as pretty much all software is (open software for example typically uses GPL licenses rather than CreativeCommons), it is tricky to point out what belongs to which license.
  • We'd like to spread the OPP assets on many asset marketplaces (for free!), like the gamemaker, unity, gamesalad or gamedev stores, to further promote the OPP and increase its usage. These market places all require sub licensing on their terms.

All the problems above would be solved by putting the work in the public domain.

This would also mean, that unlike with the original license, no crediting is required anymore. The OPP project will always highly recommend crediting to the users, but we would never be able to enforce this anyway.

Would you agree to put the images you've contributed to the project in the public domain? Please let me know!
If not, or if we don't hear from you, we might need to remove your assets in future packages of the project :( I will be sending out private messages to each contributor, and make a list here of people who agreed to have their OPP assets in the public domain.

A final notice: I understand very very little about laws and licenses. I hope the above is kind of correct and makes sense, but if you understand this stuff better, please do advise me!

People who agreed to have their OPP assets in the public domain:

> Hapiel
> Damian
> Noburo (Gabriel)
> Jetrel
> Diggyspiff
> Surt
> yaomon17
> Crow
> Buch
> Kazen
> RileyFiery
> nickthem
> Stava
> Conzeit
> Skeddles
> Ellian
> KEtsumio
> A3um
> DawnBringer
> Squirrelsquid
> Noaqh
> gogglecrab
> anodomani
> Darchangel
> Oh look a Harmonica!
> limes
> Pistachio

I realy hope we manage to get at least 80% of all the assets in the public domain, as I strongly believe it will make the project much more usable for game developers!

Enjoy creating, and thanks for considering to convert your assets!
- The OPP team: Damian, Gabriel, Hapiel.

Edited by Hapiel - 25 June 2015 at 1:30am
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2015 at 5:56am
It has been one week since I send forum messages to everyone, and so far everyone who replied (10 people) agreed to put their works in the public domain!
Thanks a lot :D That makes 14 artists whos OPP work is now in the public domain!

Now I'll go and try to dig up all the email addresses of those who did not reply yet, and hope I can reach all of the contributors :)

Edited by Hapiel - 09 May 2015 at 5:57am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version