Diversions
 Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Diversions
Message Icon Topic: Can you draw? Post Reply Post New Topic
bbtrix
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote bbtrix Replybullet Topic: Can you draw?
    Posted: 31 July 2018 at 6:17pm
Hello!
I created this topic to ask of you:
Can you draw? (as in freehand drawing)
Is drawing a necessary ability to be a good pixel artist?
How to practice/improve it for creating pixel art?

I ask this because every tutorial I see comes to the "do the linework" part and it is where I get stuck...I can't seem to do any interesting linework :(
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2018 at 10:03pm
The mechanical skill of drawing isn't necessary, but the knowledge that goes into it (light, colour, line, volume, anatomy, etc) is necessary.

Linework is not necessary for pixel art. Perhaps a form-oriented approach might suit you better? Block in the composition and major forms first, refine from there, then add lines at the end if you need them.
IP IP Logged
PixelMart
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote PixelMart Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2018 at 5:50pm
i won't say i can draw
as an example of a scribble:

it might help you
but in my first (a little bit professional looking pixelart)
i worked in a fery different way with drawing shapes first and adding outlines als details later
this worked amazing for my first project

but i don't know if it works well for everyone

but:
i am sure... pixelart wil help you to be better in drawing too.
I imagine how working on and understaing pixelart will teach me to make the most of nearly no colors and small sized images.
(like 3 or to colots on 20 x 20 pixels)

and use this knowledge on hd multiple time zbrush renders in photoshop with layereffects amnd more :D

and... if you want to do something with art....
try it... try again.. learn and train yourself.

art is a little bit like sports
you need to train it

I followed art streams who started worse than me..but drew every day for about 5 hours. then I see their works now i loose my breath, because they look so amazing

i'm not experienced in pixel art but before i bougth asesprite (the perfect pixel line tool looked like a big help) I looked up a lot of tutorials about this.
in the end my first uploaded picture here looks like this:

IP IP Logged
Pikaychu
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Pikaychu Replybullet Posted: 23 August 2018 at 9:31am
I can't draw (well) and at many times I'm thinking that this is my blocking point for creating beautiful sprites. (But I'm far away from being a good pixel artist too)

But as already mentioned, for "low res" pixel art, the theory of drawing, meaning basic knowledge in anatomy, color theory, lighting etc. seems to be sufficient if you just practice practice practice.

I can highly recommend CTRLPaint for learning digital art. It also has a great amount of free content. It teached me at least the basics in a fairly short time and is targeted at digital drawing, which I liked.
IP IP Logged
Diogalesu
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Diogalesu Replybullet Posted: 11 September 2018 at 5:18am
Look, I'm gonna be honest. I didn't pick up on the foundations of art such as drawing, anatomy, color theory and lighting and all that stuff until I studied it more frequently in college.

And I dived into pixel art without much understanding of those. The results were varied between being bad and decent. Now with that understanding of the foundations that I've learned over the years I've noticed a extraordinary jump in improvements since I started out back in high school nearly 8 years ago.

I would agree that, with the point that PixelMart made that no matter what you wish to do in art you have to train and dedicate yourself to the medium. However, I would stress his point about how drawing and pixel art tend to go hand in hand. While not necessary to know one or the other skill, both have core concepts that they share that, with enough understanding of them by putting them into practice with both mediums you could practically make anything amazing.

This is usually why I stress to others that whether they're doing it for fun or for professionalism, it's important to understand the foundations at least.
IP IP Logged
ConnyNordlund
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ConnyNordlund Replybullet Posted: 24 January 2019 at 7:03am
I started off as a painter before doing any pixel art. So due to that I have to strongly disagree that the knowledge wouldn't be connected. I had an easy time picking up pixel art because of the traditional training. It was more a matter of understanding the medium. I believe you should practice both drawing and painting while doing pixel art. Because it goes hand in hand. It's fundamental knowledge that can be applied to basically all art.
IP IP Logged
plaza
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote plaza Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2019 at 5:32am
It's definitely an asset to be an artist first, but don't let that stop you from jumping in and making your pixel art and posting it for us to critique.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version