Job Offerings
 Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Job Offerings
Message Icon Topic: [Unpaid] Looking for 2D Sprite Artists for Fangame Post Reply Post New Topic
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote LilacChips Replybullet Topic: [Unpaid] Looking for 2D Sprite Artists for Fangame
    Posted: 23 September 2018 at 4:32pm
Hiya everyone!

My name is Lilac. I am looking for dedicated sprite artists to help me out with a Sonic fangame project. We are in need of two specific categories. Tileset artists who can create tiles with a style similar to the classic sonic titles, "Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Mania", along with being able to cover foreground objects. We also need background artists, with the same goal, making background artwork faithful to the classic games, with its own style. Specific details can be specified if interested. The engine is already 100% complete, so there's no need to worry about that as a problem.

We do not have a site yet (for obvious reasons of it not being publicly revealed yet). There is a lot of stuff I can showcase for the game. Here is an example gif. (Low FPS comes from my bad screen recorder.)

There will be no money offered at any point in time, as not only is this project made out of love and dedication, but I don't even have any money to be tossing out myself.

If you are interested, shoot me a PM or Email (lilacchips@gmail.com), and we can discuss details there. It can be here but I'd prefer talking via Discord, as that's were the server is (My Discord is Lilac#1508)

Thank you all for your time, and have a great day.
IP IP Logged
daLk
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote daLk Replybullet Posted: 26 September 2018 at 4:06pm
if you're redoing everything, why not making a sonic-like you'd own, instead of risking a takedown ?
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 4:30am
I'm guessing you don't know, but SEGA is very lenient on Sonic fangames. They've even encouraged them in the past, so there's no concern on getting a takedown. And I'd rather make a fangame first for experience before making some other obscure indie game that based off Sonic
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 9:07am
then if this is exclusively for experience, then why not just use placeholder stuff? given that its just a fangame, I don't see what would be the need for custom assets.

its just a sonic fangame, just use sonic assets.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 12:48pm
I don't think you understand the ideas of a fangame, to be honest. The point of a fangame is to be new, having new content. It's a game made by a fan. Highlight the game part. They want to make their own concept based off their favorite title. Why would they use already existing assets to portray that?
There are many famous Sonic fangames you can search for that all use Custom assets. Sonic XG. Sonic Nexus. Retro Sonic. Sonic Gaiden. I could list more, but I'm just giving examples. My point is that the idea of a fangame is a fan's desire and passion to create their own style of a real game. This applies to any fangame. So why would they just use existing assets for their new ideas? Makes no sense.
IP IP Logged
daLk
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote daLk Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 2:58pm
you point of view is valid, though debatable, from an artistic perspective. However, "why would they just use existing assets for their new ideas?" makes my gamedesigner half scream internally :)
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 4:18pm
Sorry to offend you, but I'm just not a fan of reusing others assets, and it offended me I was told to do so. Just my view though.
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by LilacChips

Why would they use already existing assets to portray that?

Because you have no money to pay for new ones.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Metaru

Originally posted by LilacChips

Why would they use already existing assets to portray that?

Because you have no money to pay for new ones.

And these same fans who made the fangames I listed didn't have money for that either. They gathered a team who were all interested in the common idea of a project and worked together. Hmm, it's almost like it's out of dedication, and not money? Seems you wouldn't understand that concept, no matter how many times I explain it.
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 6:19pm
I understand the concept behind fangames, and how most of them (if not all) are made out of purely dedication towards a franchise. I'm pretty sure everyone here is familiar with them so that goes out of the question.

what you need to understand (and I sincerely hope you do, so we can drop the discussion since its completely irrelevant to go any futher beyond this point) is that you're asking for free work out for what seems only a trivial need.

Please state in your OP what do you need, how and when. then people will be able to determine if the favor you need is worth their time.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 27 September 2018 at 6:44pm
What else am I supposed to say that I haven't said already?
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 28 September 2018 at 6:18am
Exactly what types of assets you need ("background" can mean a lot of different things, and "character" isn't very precise either), how many, how large, provide style examples, etc? Are there animations, if so, how many and what are they? There's a LOT you can do to make your potential collaborators' lives easier. If you can provide a public checklist of assets, that'll give people an idea of what they'll need to do, and it'll make everyone's life easier if multiple people want to help out on a sub-section of the work each.
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 15 October 2018 at 8:47pm
Updated my post. Hopefully this meets the expectations you wanted to see.
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 17 November 2018 at 6:20pm
Bump. We are still in need of the requested artists (We also have a build any person interested in joining may play.)
IP IP Logged
LilacChips
Seaman
Seaman

Quote LilacChips Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:11pm
Bump. We are still waiting for help. With this bump, I'll be showing some of our updated/new graphics. The playable build is still available.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version