Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Diversions
Message Icon Topic: Question about Job Posts Post Reply Post New Topic
MinutesPerBeat
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote MinutesPerBeat Replybullet Topic: Question about Job Posts
    Posted: 01 December 2018 at 5:43pm
Hey everyone! I'm here to ask about how job postings work.

I been developing an indie action-adventure RPG for the past ~8 months now. I'm really passionate about it and, on the story and mechanics side, everything is going swimmingly.

Sadly, after trying my hand at pixel art, I have concluded I simply lack the talent to implement the artistic vision I had hoped for. Currently I'm using copyright free artwork from Kenney Game Studio's website. This too doesn't match what I hoped for. So, now I'm here .

Despite saying I have a hope/vision for what the game's art style looks like, I am of course happy with artists going a bit "wild" (figuratively of course) with their vision, as this is one of the many things that makes artwork great.

As I mentioned, I have a question about how job postings work. Really it's a few questions:
1) What information about the game should go into the job post? I don't want to give it all away publicly of course, but I would like to give potential artists an idea as to what it entails.

2) What is the going rates for artwork? I ask because I genuinely have no idea. This is the first project I have done of this size/scale. This would of course be an ongoing project and, depending on the reception, I hope to start an indie game studio along with this game. Would a job offer at the resulting studio be a piece of the price? Would a percentage of sales at the end? Again, I lack the knowledge on how much this costs or how a project of this size is often handled.

3) I saw the "Job Post Terms" topic and noticed the points on company info. As of right now there isn't one established. Is this a problem? Of course prior to the announcement & release of the game the company would be established, but until that date arrives I thought holding off would be best.

4) What information about myself should I provide? I want to do everything possible to make sure it's clear I care about this project and I'll be the last one to abandon it (not that this would ever happen).

5) Last question: Based off everything above, and mainly the fact that I am unfamiliar with the process for artwork creation on this large of a scale, is this forum the best place for me to start my search? It seems like it, however, it also seems like the "Job Post Terms" expects non-first-time projects.

To be transparent: My intent is to launch a crowdfunding campaign, however, I don't want to have "just another failed game" to add to the failed crowdfunds list. This means I would like to have a demo of the game along with a small video for the campaign (if you haven't already, Undertale's campaign is a great template). I have thoughts on what the video should contain, but nothing definite. I do know what I'd like the demo to have and, based off some feedback from other RPG enthusiasts I know, the planned demo would entice them into backing the campaign.

Apologies for the length of this post. Thank you for you time, and any and all help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. Have a swell rest of your day!
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 01 December 2018 at 7:55pm
1. Information about the game:
Gameplay style, type(s) of work; sprites, animations, tiles, props, backgrounds, UI, etc, specify everything you need. Artists don't like to be surprised by new demands mid-project xP
Sizes of the various assets. For animations, the number of animations and how many frames you expect them to be or how smooth you want them to look. Size has a huge effect on workload (and thus price) when it comes to pixel art.
All of this information can be approximate, of course! You can also provide examples of other games with a similar look to what you want, just make sure you specify what it is about those games that matches what you want.
If you're open to working with multiple artists, mention that! Many artists can't commit to doing all the art, or may prefer to do a particular type of art, and if your post sounds like you expect one person to do everything when that's not the case might scare off some great candidates. However, do keep in mind that working with multiple artists may lead to a less coherent look for your game.

2. Going rates:
Anywhere between $10/h to $50+/h, depending on the skill and experience of the artist. I recommend reading this guide ( https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=23286 ) to get an idea of how pixel artists (should) price their work.
Future "opportunities" mean very little to most artists. The possibility of a job at a studio that might be successful one day doesn't pay the bills now xP So, don't bother with that, instead focus on compensating your artist now, don't make them take unnecessary risks.
Similarly, revenue share is typically not desirable since it's not something artists can rely on. Rev-share is only really acceptable if you're already big enough that you can almost guarantee a significant enough profit. Normally, rev share is something people do when they're equal partners in the project from the very beginning, not when one person is hiring another.

3. Company info:
You do NOT need to have a company established, don't worry! Provide some information about yourself and your goals with the project instead. Specify that you're an indie developer, and mention that you plan to crowd-fund, and how/when you intend to pay the artist.

4. Information about yourself:
What's your goal with the project, why do you want to make it? If an artist shares your vision, they'll be more excited to work on it with you, which will lead to better work, and perhaps even a lower rate (but don't count on it - passion doesn't pay the rent).
What do you contribute to the project? Savvy artists know to be wary of people who try to put together a team but do nothing significant themselves xP Alleviate those fears by explaining your role.
You should also mention what country or at least time zone you're in, and what language(s) you prefer to speak, as these can have a significant impact on the artist's ability to communicate with you effectively.

5. Starting place:
Here is fine, if you want pixel art specifically. Pixelation is another good place. You may also want to try TIGForums and other websites frequented by indie devs and pixel artists. Twitter's also great for finding collaborators, as long as you grow your presence and audience there organically for a while before making job postings. It's never too early to have a Twitter presence for yourself and your projects!
There are plenty of first-time devs posting here and in these other places, and the fact that you're going out of your way to figure out how to make the best impression already puts you way ahead of many of the other job postings on most of these sites xP
IP IP Logged
MinutesPerBeat
Seaman
Seaman

Quote MinutesPerBeat Replybullet Posted: 02 December 2018 at 7:11am
Oh my! So much information, thank you very much. :D

All of the info mentioned is definitely providable upfront. I will need to go through my project documentation and pull together the different artwork specification notes, but I hope to be posting something soon.

Thank you again for all the info and tips, I'm so excited to get this process started!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version