The Joint
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : The Joint
Message Icon Topic: Right Balcony.. something different? Post Reply Post New Topic
Blue Lander
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Blue Lander Replybullet Topic: Right Balcony.. something different?
    Posted: 12 June 2005 at 9:13pm
I noticed the right balcony has been neglected, so I figured I'd try something different. I came up with the idea of having the Spice Girls displayed in a glass case. Girl power. Don't even pretend you don't miss the Spice Girls.

This is my first iso art. I made the flag first, and then lowered the opacity in Photoshop so that it looked painted on. I don't know how well I succeeded here. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to recreate the british flag at that angle, but it was pretty frustrating. The diagonal lines were weird, like the red lines aren't centered in the white lines. To me, it's just a strange design.

I also had trouble with the girls. In fact, the whole thing proved challenging. I probably should've tried a tutorial first. Isometric art just looked really easy to me.. ahaha. I should've known better.
But I don't think it's a bad first try. I'm having serious problems with the glass case look.. I don't know how to go about it at all, but what I have now just isn't working out. I also wasn't sure if I should put a window on a side, or at least should've kept the door in. I figured if it was placed in Position 15, it wouldn't have been such a big deal, since there's no way to access it from the Livingroom Sanctuary anyway.
Or maybe this whole idea is just bad. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Making posts for science!

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 12 June 2005 at 10:41pm

This is a fun little scene. The Spice Girls look ready to rock.

I can understand your frustrations trying to create the UK flag in iso. It's just a little off with the angled stripes, but the Spice Girls in front pretty much cover it up so it's not too noticable. The under glass thing looks a little funky too -- I like it without the glass personally.

IP IP Logged
Blue Lander
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Blue Lander Replybullet Posted: 14 June 2005 at 2:55pm
Okay, I got rid of that glass thing.
I didn't know what to do about the side, it looked blank. It didn't make sense to put a window for a balcony. I though I'd make it look like SPICE was painted t here.

The S looked italicized, and I don't know what to do about that. That and the E were difficult letters to work with. =\
Or maybe it'd be better to just stick a door there?
EDIT: ..wow. I stared at that for a long time, took a break, looked at it again.. that's just horrible. It really is.
So I made a door. The painted look was pretty lame on top of it, so I wasn't sure what to do.

I made one where it looked like the paint got on the other side fairly sloppy and all, and then one where I just stuck a door on top.
I hope it's getting to be where I finish this thing up. :)

Edited by Blue Lander

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2005 at 9:19am
Hmmmm... I think the "SPICE" and the door both look pretty good.  If you are going to go with the door don't forget to put a frame around it.
IP IP Logged
Blue Lander
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Blue Lander Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2005 at 10:51am
I don't know, the SPICE seemed really out of place with the rest of the picture.. and sort of sloppy. I was trying to mimic the way they're written on some album (I forget the name, just image google "spice girls album), and to me it really didn't work out.

Someone told me the sloppy paint looks gives it character, so I tried to keep that in without going overboard.
Overall, I am proud of this piece.

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2005 at 11:27am
What happened to the fifth spice girl?
IP IP Logged
Blue Lander
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Blue Lander Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2005 at 1:47pm
Errr... fixed now.
I hid her temporarily to better work on the door, and just sort of forgot about her.
Best Spice Girls fan ever!

IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 22 June 2005 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Blue Lander

Okay, I got rid of that glass thing.
I didn't know what to do about the side, it looked blank. It didn't make sense to put a window for a balcony. I though I'd make it look like SPICE was painted t here.

The S looked italicized, and I don't know what to do about that. That and the E were difficult letters to work with. =\
Or maybe it'd be better to just stick a door there?
EDIT: ..wow. I stared at that for a long time, took a break, looked at it again.. that's just horrible. It really is.
So I made a door. The painted look was pretty lame on top of it, so I wasn't sure what to do.

I made one where it looked like the paint got on the other side fairly sloppy and all, and then one where I just stuck a door on top.
I hope it's getting to be where I finish this thing up. :)
hey, what happend 2 da blonde 1 in the 2nd and 3rd pics?!?!
IP IP Logged
Blue Lander
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Blue Lander Replybullet Posted: 22 June 2005 at 11:41am
Originally posted by supadude

hey, what happend 2 da blonde 1 in the 2nd and 3rd pics?!?!

.....are you serious?
If you read the thread, you'll notice I said Errr... fixed now.
I hid her temporarily to better work on the door, and just sort of forgot about her.
You will also notice that I only bothered to fix the final version.

Not that it matters, because you already have seen the final version and already commented on it, rather rudely too.
Why?

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 22 June 2005 at 2:09pm
Sorry Blue Lander. I've had to warn supadude several times about his behavior on the gallery/forum. The next step for supadude might have to be harsh.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version