The Joint
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : The Joint
Message Icon Topic: im a new guy(A NOOB =] ) Post Reply Post New Topic
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote SamSam Replybullet Topic: im a new guy(A NOOB =] )
    Posted: 17 December 2006 at 12:13pm
hey guys and gals

im new here, and new to pixel art. i only started doing it on thursday.

and i want some advice, now iknow whay i  need to know is spread about the forums.

but could people please leave me a link or tell me what i need to know about all of this pixel stuff. lol

anyways.. on to what im psoting about.

i submited TWO pixel joint apartment.. but says *Needs revision before approvel* now.. i need to know what i need to do.

they are both completed, one for the joint appartments.. and one is the 1st thing i did. just uploaded it, to get people to see it. i dont want this one uploaded to the apparments.....

now for the 100x100 image.. i simpley shrunk the image.. and i was told not to do that by someone.
(What do i do for the 100x100 image)

ermm... i dont know whay else i need to ask about. or what i need to know.

hope to hear form anyone.. hope to be welcomed warmly to this online pixel community.

thanks guy
speak to some of you soon

Regards Sam
IP IP Logged
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SamSam Replybullet Posted: 17 December 2006 at 12:25pm
hey... just thought i would put my two pixel arts in

Edited by SamSam - 17 December 2006 at 4:49pm
IP IP Logged
thesalus
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote thesalus Replybullet Posted: 17 December 2006 at 3:22pm
One piece of advice is to not double post unless necessary to bump your topic from obscurity.

And every piece of pixel art must be approved for quality [a relative term] and appropriateness. This takes time.

And resizing pixel art usually doesn't give the piece justice, so clip out a representative 100x100 piece from your piece and use that.

Otherwise... welcome. :p
IP IP Logged
leel
Commander
Commander

Quote leel Replybullet Posted: 17 December 2006 at 4:23pm
Resizing an image makes it not-pixelart, therefore you shouldn't do that.  It gets blurred and stuff, so it's really not plesant!

As for the apartments, well, there's much to be improved, which is understandable for someone so new.  So I'll let our dear friend Jalonso tell you all the iso rules and such.

How about you start by posting these in the WIP section (or better yet, ask a mod to move this topic) and describe what you intended for these rooms.  Then we'll be able to give you ideas for textures and colors to get that look.
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 17 December 2006 at 11:24pm
moved this to the proper category.
And yes, there is much you could improve on. Get some feedback from the community and try to learn from them to improve on your pieces.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2006 at 12:03am
Welcome.

Seems you need the basics first. This n00btorial may help you out some. Your rooms seem to have stopped at #4. Zoom in and study how to take your rooms from #4 to #5 first. Leave going to #6 for later.

Photoshop is fine for pixelling ;)
IP IP Logged
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SamSam Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2006 at 3:51am
Thats all very well and good telling me what to improve, telling me its no good yet

but how about actualy showing me, one on one, where and how i can improve things

the tut that was posted it a help.. but i have no idea what other colour to added.. where to add them and what not.

sorry if i sound a bit moody... but hey.. i reayl want to learn this.

if someone could get my feet off the ground

then i will be away

thanks again
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 18 December 2006 at 6:08am
We all learned to pixel by asking questions, looking at other pixels and mostly through trial and error. Because we like to spend our time pixelling too, finding someone to stop and walk you though things is not realistic.
Take what you have. Use the zoom feature here and in the gallery and inspect closely to discover how things are done. Then post updates and learn as you go. You picked colors just fine on your rooms and you may not be confident but your color sense is not terrible. Its the techniques you have to improve on.
Again, nobody learned to pixel with a single tutor. We all learn to pixel from each other. Your assignment for now is to discover how to go from step #4 to step #5.
IP IP Logged
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SamSam Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2006 at 3:54pm
ok guys. i changed it all about
tried to add depth

in what little time i had

NEW VERSION

OLD VERSION
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2006 at 8:19pm
Since my tut didn't help, here is another way of saying the same thing.
Your room is not bad but I will focus on the things that make it gallery ready only so only crits follow.

Here is an edit that hopefully shows you how to pixel better AND to get you to think of making your room interesting/funny or whatever, pick one.

I did not know what was going on so I made a stupid thief that is cutting a hole in the floor in the wrong place, right in front of the guards. You come up with something else. I'm only illustrating my points here.

You have a yellow line which is a 'cutoff' point visually. With the floor as you have it the lines go in the same direction so it does not convey a 'stop'. I made my floor go in opposite direction to illustrate this.

You have two guards and two chairs. This is boring to the eye. I put 3 chairs to illustrate that they (guards) are level, anything outside the yellow line is not.

Zoom in to inspect pixelling techniques which I kept in your style and level, I hope.

On a techincal side your image has 111 colors, way too much. Notice how mine is more colorful yet uses far fewer colors. Keep an eye on that.

Use these suggestion and ideas on this room and the other one too. You sir are challenged.

edit: typos and I just noticed the trashcan is a little too small :/

Edited by jalonso - 19 December 2006 at 8:48pm
IP IP Logged
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SamSam Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2006 at 11:46am
ok, thanks for the tips.. i'll see what i can do with it

IP IP Logged
Monkey 'o Doom
Commander
Commander

Quote Monkey 'o Doom Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2006 at 12:15pm
Do you think you could tone down the sig? Some places it's normal to use large banners as sig images, but here the custom is a small image and/or a line or two of text.

I really like the cameras you have in your room, but like jalonso's tutorial and edit showed, you should add a lighter color on all the corners that stick out. You might also want to make the walls a color other than plain grey, as it's rather uninteresting to look at and you don't often see plain grey walls in real life.

RPG is numberwang.
IP IP Logged
Pixel_Outlaw
Commander
Commander

Quote Pixel_Outlaw Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:12pm

So what is the formula for color counts to determine it art is submittable?

I want concrete rules. There should be a set total size to max color ratio.
One of the best pieces in the showcase (That elf thing) had many colors in it. I'm no color abuser myself but we should atleast have some concrete rules or atleast say what Sedge counts as hostable.

87 colors

Edited by Pixel_Outlaw - 20 December 2006 at 1:16pm
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2006 at 10:46pm
There are no rules that apply to color count. Its mostly about getting your image across with as few as possible for the job at hand. To the casual viewer color count is not that important at all. However, for the pixel pixelart fan when a piece comes across as 'complete' and the color count is low, it garners respect for the artist's pixelling skills. In PJ like other pixel communities its a skill that garners much respect. Because SamSam is new and wishes to learn the pixel ways. I think good pixelling habits are a critical thing to know as you get into it.

ps: I agree on the siggy comment ;)

Edited by jalonso - 20 December 2006 at 10:49pm
IP IP Logged
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SamSam Replybullet Posted: 21 December 2006 at 5:47pm
ok, been messing about, got it down to 66 colours.. still to many??

its looking better, teh floor.. im not feeling so much,, but its much better
working on the walls and new seats.. or one long bench

as for my sigs...................... Nope, they are staying
they are not "large banners" as someone said
they are average size sigs,,,,,,,

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 21 December 2006 at 5:53pm
Glad to see you upadate and learn new things. Look forward to more updtaes.

ps: Its our custom here not to have overpowering siggys so that we may concentrate on the pixels. I understand cuz I'm a rebel at heart but, sometimes its best to fit in ;)
IP IP Logged
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SamSam Replybullet Posted: 22 December 2006 at 10:53am
down to 57 colours now

added some shadows
and a brick texture to the walls..
also a hole into the wall.. i hope it looks like a hole =p
lol

IP IP Logged
MattJ
Seaman
Seaman

Quote MattJ Replybullet Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:23pm
looking better and better, but why so many colors? most of your colors are so close its not noticeable, you could probably do that with 12 colors max, and no1 will notice a difference.

Remember theres nothing wrong with using lots of color, its just rather pointless if they have no visible use, when colors get to close together and not noticeable theirs no point for them to be their.

Edited by MattJ - 29 December 2006 at 11:32pm
IP IP Logged
SamSam
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SamSam Replybullet Posted: 20 January 2007 at 8:26am
yeah, i noticed them.. they all look the same.. and ive no idea why.I have been limiting my colours.. but ive no idea why they keep getting to unnoticable and look the same.

i scraped that room, started over on a new room, but have not had much time, since starting a new job, and lots of college work

but i will post my new room once i get it sorted out

thanks for all the help guys and girls!!

IP IP Logged
Dra_chan
Commander
Commander

Quote Dra_chan Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2007 at 11:22am
Hi. Here is a tip to find find all those almost identical pixels and delete them to reduce your color count (in photoshop)
Go to your menu and click on "select", then "color range",  the eyedroper tool will appear, set the fuzziness to 0 and select a color. When the color in the picture is already selected, zoom in and look at the color selection, you should notice some pixels or parts that are not selected, now that you found them destroy them! (meaning paint them with the correct color)

Here is an example, I clicked on the floor with the eyedrop tool and look at how a color that looks identical to the rest was not selected:

If you do that with all the colors you will be able to get rid of all those unecesary shades

Edited by Dra_chan - 09 March 2007 at 11:32am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version