The Joint
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges : The Joint
Message Icon Topic: W.I.P - First ISO "The Joint" Room - LOCK Post Reply Post New Topic
Varock Shade
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Varock Shade Replybullet Topic: W.I.P - First ISO "The Joint" Room - LOCK
    Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:44am
Project is done, please lock... thank you all for the advice...

I never tried any ISO work before, so i gave it a try... this is tehe result so far...

Edit 1:

Edit 2:

(Tiles and grass added, + non black outline edit)

Edit 3:

(Greenish colour on the floor added,made the floor more grey and improved outlines).

Edit 4

Logo's added, last few small changes, and well... i think its almost done...?

Edit 5:

(Pool is broken, but i think it doesnt look got yet, so im gonna edit it a bit more...

Edit 6:

(this looks better i think...?)

Edit 7 - (a bit of) contrast and saturation edit...

Still not too much contrats, but it shouldnt be more in my opinion...

Edit 8:

AA logo, and second one i added shadows of a guitar and a microphone...

(I also tried to make someone playing a guitar, and tried to make the band completely under water, but well...

1. The char was still too large
2. I think, when i add anything more, it gets too confusing and it looks good without the band added, so ill put some kind of story to it when i post it on the PJ gallery).

Transparent/Gif Version

A Brand is one of my favorite bands and i decided that would be my theme... besides the logo, you see an (old) swimming pool, which they used in one of their photoshoots...:

(maybe im also gonna add the 5 men that you see in the photo, and the bushes under the diving board)...

i know the pool etc are quite large for a room, but im more asking if there are any things im doing wrong so far...?

and of course ideas are welcome...

Edited by Varock Shade - 20 January 2007 at 4:13am
http://www.mega.freeforums.org/ < PJ Member Dran's Multimedia and RP Forum
IP IP Logged
Aleiav
Commander
Commander

Quote Aleiav Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2007 at 11:56am
I'd get rid of the black outlines on the pool and the divingboard.
IP IP Logged
Varock Shade
Commander
Commander

Quote Varock Shade Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2007 at 12:19pm

Tiles and grass added. I also have a  bad version of a Non-black outline edit. (And i like the black outlines in this case, the diveboard is not visible enough, but ill try again (change colours of the floor compared to diving board).

Edit 3:

Edited by Varock Shade - 06 January 2007 at 1:04pm
IP IP Logged
Varock Shade
Commander
Commander

Quote Varock Shade Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2007 at 2:18am

This is edit 4... I made the A Brand text on the sides of the wall, changed the wall colours a bit, and i think im almost done, so... is there anyone with comment, tips etc?
IP IP Logged
Agent Smith
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Agent Smith Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2007 at 6:53am

You should maybe add more details. (dirt, grass) on the ground. Make it even more destroyed...

And destroy the pool too. (the edges)

But you did a great improvement and your materials are really nice.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2007 at 7:19am
The overall pixelling is good and any Joint room with a story is always great. This somehow fails as a standalone pixel unless you are familiar with this band. Maybe the band could be added or some other point of interest.
IP IP Logged
Varock Shade
Commander
Commander

Quote Varock Shade Replybullet Posted: 07 January 2007 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Agent Smith

You should maybe add more details. (dirt, grass) on the ground. Make it even more destroyed...

And destroy the pool too. (the edges)

But you did a great improvement and your materials are really nice.

thanks here is the version of the broken pool...

i dont think it looks really good, but your idea is nice, so im gonna edit it a bit till it looks a bit better

edit:
this looks a bit better i think

Edited by Varock Shade - 07 January 2007 at 11:20am
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 08 January 2007 at 12:39pm
Alrighty... first off I think only retards feel the need to sign their name on a piece (especially before it's even finished and not even close enough to being a work of art that someone would want to steal... sorry bud... tough love here)

I decided to work off your first draft in my edit to prove some points:

• Use contrast!
You see how those walls pop out at you now? Everything looked so soft and bland before.

• Keep it clean before you dirty it up!
This means try to get everything as perfected as you want before you add the small details. This way, it'll be easier to do edits instead of erasing every single little detail

• work on your circles and curves!
I didn't bother doing an edit for you since most times peeps just go ahead and use what others did for them. Learn this for yourself. Learn to use AA if you must, but don't let your lines look so obviously blocky and lazy.

Lastly, add some kind of dynamic to your scene. Add the band, someone swimming, someone diving, a lifeguard, anything! Too many boring pieces are made for the joint. I think a basement should be made as storage for the bottom rung submissions personally. Use some creativity... I know you've heard of it.

IP IP Logged
NMEwithin
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote NMEwithin Replybullet Posted: 08 January 2007 at 12:40pm
I really like the idea of an abandoned pool for an ISO room but I would remove the band name from the image.

It just doesn't fit and if you are not familiar with the band it is meaningless....
IP IP Logged
Varock Shade
Commander
Commander

Quote Varock Shade Replybullet Posted: 10 January 2007 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by pixelblink

• work on your circles and curves!
I didn't bother doing an edit for you since most times peeps just go ahead and use what others did for them. Learn this for yourself. Learn to use AA if you must, but don't let your lines look so obviously blocky and lazy.

Maybe ill try it some time, but i also like the sharp edges of pixels, which is why i dont use AA. Ill give an AA edit (probably), but im maybe not gonna submit it with the AA...

Originally posted by pixelblink

lastly, add some kind of dynamic to your scene. Add the band, someone swimming, someone diving, a lifeguard, anything! Too many boring pieces are made for the joint. I think a basement should be made as storage for the bottom rung submissions personally. Use some creativity... I know you've heard of it.

Yes, ive heard of creativity... maybe it would be an idea to make a mirror, and with the band in the mirror and not in the room? (But where to put the mirror... thats antoher problem)

And well, about the contrast... i guess its a bit my style to have soft colours and in this case low contrast... ive been looking in photoshop what contrast looks best, (so i can decide how i want to edit it in paint) and well... i will maybe post a result of that, but i think it doesnt look too great... (EDIT:maybe it does look good after all xD):

(let it be clear that i dont use psd to edit colours, but only to look what the edit will probably look like)

And thanks for your comment

Edited by Varock Shade - 10 January 2007 at 12:56pm
IP IP Logged
Minstrel
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Minstrel Replybullet Posted: 11 January 2007 at 6:24am
I know I am a big rookie, but I have and idea for the "dynamic" thing: maybe you could add a reflection of a person in the pool, but not the person itself.
IP IP Logged
Varock Shade
Commander
Commander

Quote Varock Shade Replybullet Posted: 11 January 2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Minstrel

I know I am a big rookie, but I have and idea for the "dynamic" thing: maybe you could add a reflection of a person in the pool, but not the person itself.

nice idea! cause, well... my mirror idea was also ok, but theres no place for a mirror anywhere (see old reply of me)

Btw, this is my edit for contrast (and a bit of saturation)

Not a big difference, but it shouldnt be more contrast i think...

Edit 8:

AA logo, and second one i added shadows of a guitar and a microphone...

(I also tried to make someone playing a guitar, and tried to make the band completely under water, but well... 1. The char was still too large 2. I think, when i add anything more, it gets too confusing and it looks good without the band added, so ill put some kind of story to it when i post it on the PJ gallery).

Edited by Varock Shade - 13 January 2007 at 3:34am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version