Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 5/27/2013: 1-1

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16419
Printed Date: 26 June 2019 at 1:33pm

Topic: CHALLENGE 5/27/2013: 1-1
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 5/27/2013: 1-1
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: 1-1

Create your own interpretation of the iconic http://i.imgur.com/KpMVdWG.png - first level of Super Mario Bros . You can reinterpret it however you like, but the resemblance must be clear. Also, it should go without saying, but, no rips or edits.

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 13.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1347' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The 1-1 pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/78321.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>Super Mario Bros: Mario Paint by /p/42312.htm' target='_blank'>Emperor_Pixel
/pixelart/78423.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>- Super Mario 1-1 - by /p/41423.htm' target='_blank'>CraftyPixel
/pixelart/78367.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>Super ISO Bros: The Other Side by /p/42312.htm' target='_blank'>Emperor_Pixel

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/78360.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Super Mario 1-1 by /p/22337.htm' target='_blank'>TropicalSnowcone
/pixelart/78341.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Super Dylan Bros O.o by /p/39019.htm' target='_blank'>Dyl
/pixelart/78403.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>28 years later. by /p/36321.htm' target='_blank'>Pallormortis
/pixelart/78418.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Flat Blocky World by /p/34711.htm' target='_blank'>Felix20
/pixelart/78342.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Sweet Mario Bros. by /p/39146.htm' target='_blank'>DragonDePlatino
/pixelart/78422.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Sullen Mario by /p/38768.htm' target='_blank'>IceyPinkLemons
/pixelart/78355.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>runner mario by /p/41263.htm' target='_blank'>thee_owl
/pixelart/78442.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>1-1 Sewers by /p/42049.htm' target='_blank'>TombReaper
/pixelart/78401.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Industrial 1-1 by /p/43051.htm' target='_blank'>Muxaun
/pixelart/78425.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>The First Level by /p/42396.htm' target='_blank'>Strawzzboy64
/pixelart/78368.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Super Mario Remake by /p/22194.htm' target='_blank'>Nether
/pixelart/78446.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>NO CREATIVITY by /p/39255.htm' target='_blank'>DragonMarx
/pixelart/78349.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>[Weekly Challenge] Mega Man 1-1 by /p/42834.htm' target='_blank'>StoneStephenT
/pixelart/78426.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>moth mario by /p/41389.htm' target='_blank'>pmoth
/pixelart/78375.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Super Mario 1-1 by /p/40880.htm' target='_blank'>EZKOI
/pixelart/78449.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Mario re-skin by /p/27691.htm' target='_blank'>ultimaodin
/pixelart/78323.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Shroomy Kingdom by /p/41666.htm' target='_blank'>anodomani
/pixelart/78310.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Super Mario Wasteland by /p/21881.htm' target='_blank'>robnoyce
/pixelart/78443.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Run Mario, run! by /p/37859.htm' target='_blank'>Lehmure
/pixelart/78338.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Yet Another Shroom Joke by /p/26682.htm' target='_blank'>crozier

Replies:
Posted By: vampiducki
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 3:16am
WIP using altered DB 16 palette. It's still really rough, but any and all C&C is appreciated.

Posted By: RileyFiery
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 3:31am
That looks great. Could work on the very noticeable seam that runs through the ground tiles at the bottom. Make sure the pipe ends up in the same perspective as the bricks, same for ground.

Far better than what I whipped together quickly:

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 4:55am
You make some very good points. Thanks for the advice.
Updated!

@ http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=38070&FID=1 - RileyFiery I like your style. Very different from the aesthetic of the original Mario, but it keeps all the charm. Almost like Super Mario Bros. NES meets Super Mario World SNES.

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:04am
@vampiducki, The font is killing it by being almost the same as the original.

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: EZKOI
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:05am
Does it need to be based on tile maps as the original game or can it be a free pixel art illustration?

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:09am
'Create your own interpretation of the iconic first level of Super Mario Bros. You can reinterpret it however you like, but the resemblance must be clear.'

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 6:27am
@ http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=3132&FID=1 - jalonso Thanks for pointing that out. I was using something similar to the original just for a placeholder. That being said, since the level is up for interpretation, I think I'll spend some time thinking of ways to push the limits... are health bars going to far?

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 6:45am
Thank you for the compliment, but you blew me out of the water with your latest WIP. I love the lettering. The bushes seem to counter the 3D effect, at least to me, being in the center of the top of the tile like that.

Posted By: r1k
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:02am
I wanted to do something a little different.  Probably wont finish it though

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:10am
@ http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=18908&FID=1 - r1k Please finish that! It has such character!

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:25am
thanks.  Ill try to find the time.  I have some pixel commissions to work on, and ussually after working on those I feel all pixeled out. Sketching this out was fun but the cleaning step just gets so tedious.

Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:50am
I'm with Vamp on that one. You need to finish that r1k.  It's fricken' awesome and not even finished.

Posted By: Samiboula
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:48am
"You can reinterpret it however you like"
Hmm, I can't help trying something a little original. Hopefully this is allowed =P wip, 8 colours used so far

It's kind of as if you're looking from the castle at the end, the black box at the start will be Mario just haven't pixelled him yet. still a lot of work to do yet, that's just the concept down

Posted By: Kanea2
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 10:27am

Early wip.

Edit 1: Progess :D

Posted By: crozier
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:45am
Great looking stuff so far!

I haven't done too much, but I think I'm going to do the part of the map with the stairs, gap you can fall down, and the pipe you come out of.

Posted By: ultimaodin
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 12:36pm
I origionally misinterpreted the challenge and thought it was kind of like re-skinning. So I might see if I can do two entries, one the re-skin I'm working on now and the other which is basically me idea of Tim Burton meets mario.

First let's focus on this one. Haven't done much yet and the pipe is the current part in WIP:

Again using my 16 colour pallet.

-------------
The world is but a shadow of emotion, cast in shades of grey.

Posted By: CraftyPixel
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 4:28pm
- Oh that's funny... was making tiles like this ( same exact thing ) a while back...

Posted By: Dyl
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:07pm
My entry so far!

Also bonus gb version :P

Edit: Full level O.o (Wip)

Posted By: Numberplay
Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 7:11am
You caught me by surprise there with your full level. I'm still laughing.

Posted By: crozier
Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 8:02am
Dyl, I like your hills and mushrooms a lot. Good job!
There could be a little variety amongst your clouds and bushes. Perhaps a few similar, but different images, just to spice things up, you know? Also, don't forget about the star and 1 up!

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:53am
Really early work, hope i have time to finish, any advice or constructive critic?

Posted By: DawnBringer
Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 11:40am
@r1k: That looks great, and it never quite occured to me just how well the gray and blue could work together as a background against the sky. Plz finish! :)

Posted By: DragonDePlatino
Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:43pm

Hmmm...not really sure what to think of this so far. It's still a WIP, and I plan on maybe adding some perspective, a background and a concept for the koopa (not sure what I'd say it is...maybe a gumdrop and peep or something?)

I really don't like how this ending up turning out. I probably should have just stuck with 16x16 or 24x24 textures...any criticism on palette and whatnot is welcomed. Also, does anyone think this would qualify?

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 2:39pm
Not too much changed, haven't had a lot of free time to sit and work on it. Changed the pipe and bricks. Added the hit block majiggy and finished the ground.

This is a fun contest, but I don't think I'll be entering in the end. I don't know.

@Ezkoi, I like the character mate.

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 3:20pm
- Mine so far...

May make different versions ? :I

... and @ Everyone - I really love seeing your styles! all look capable of being in a great game :D, please think of making a game people xD -

Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 7:15pm
I'm just about finished with this...would like to move onto other projects and work now.

I'll make any tweaks anyone can suggest as appropriate.

Posted By: Nevercreature
Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:52pm
This challenge's going to be epic... 

Posted By: Dyl
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 5:22am
Originally posted by crozier

Dyl, I like your hills and mushrooms a lot. Good job!
There could be a little variety amongst your clouds and bushes. Perhaps a few similar, but different images, just to spice things up, you know? Also, don't forget about the star and 1 up!

I'll try, The clouds and bushes are all the same due to my laziness O.o. I'll probably fix them though. :P

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:21pm
Impressive entries this week :)

-------------

Posted By: Numberplay
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:17pm
So fun to see that much motivation for 1 competition.

Posted By: Motrox
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 4:19pm
This is a very fun challenge :)
I don't have much done because I've been slowly working on it. If you see anything that I could change please tell me!

Posted By: x-death
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 7:27pm
here are my thoughts on some of the peices ive seen so far.

CraftyPixel: (reply to your first post)
looks great but it seems really dark. id like to see you do a piece like that for this challenge. anyone else agree?

r1k:
you have to finish that piece. its awesome and it's very stylish! reminds me of a piece that Jinn did a while ago actually. its been ages since ive seen your work. i remember back at the GMC you were practically a legend. 

ultimaodin:
really like the slime coming out of pipe. and considering the odd use of colors on this, it turned out really good.

vampiducki:
i like this alot actually. although i think the bush look wierd were they are placed. i think they should be place to look behind the bricks. so place them above the brick tiles. also i think the pipe looks a little wierd as there is no thickness at all its paper thin. (or at least it seems that way)

also i dont think the healthbar is going to far, but personally speaking i would stuck with the score rather then the health bar. however you've managed to make the healthbar feel like it belongs there so it doesnt really matter.

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 9:27am
Still working on it, taking a long time but, this challenge is amazing and the pieces look so good.Want to contribute.

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 9:50am
that looks amazing.  Personally I would just pump up the colors a little bit.  Quick edit

is the dithering neccesary, or did you run out of colors?

EDIT: oops, didnt notice the extra space on the canvas, but dont feel like re-uploading.

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 9:56am
The colour i used for the dithering is actualy a different colour, i just tried to give a diferent texture to the clouds, but im going to try to just use it as a flat shadows. Probably it will look better. Thanks :)

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:58pm
For today is enough, hard to keep it in 12 colours. Now just need a goomba and some retouching. (if there is no big mistake to change :) )

Posted By: Muxaun
Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 1:09pm
Hello there!
Registered and read about this challenge just today.
I am a beginner in Pixel graphics. So criticism is really appreciated.
Here is a very rude sketch. There is lots of work to do.

I prefer the idea of re-skinning the game. So I will try to keep initial dimensions and structure. It's hard to keep up with 13 colors.

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by EZKOI

For today is enough, hard to keep it in 12 colours. Now just need a goomba and some retouching. (if there is no big mistake to change :) )

That looks awesome.

But to be honest, colors of those cactus(or condom)-like things looked a lot better in the previous version.

Posted By: Felix20
Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 1:40pm
Well I wasn't sure if I was actually going to submit this to the contest, but it turned out nicer than I thought it would. So I think I'm going to submit it after all.

I went with a sort of meta-pixely look
Any suggestions/comments things to change?

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:10pm
Hmm...the metapixel look doesn't look that great. When you're working with pixelart, you want all of the pixels to be the same size and aligned or you get an unsettling look...the small O's on the clouds, misalignment of the ? block and outlines on the boxes don't fit in well with the rest of the work...I suggest you halve the size of your pixels, work on that scale, then resize it back to what it is now.

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 4:03pm
A little bit of progress.

Stuck with background and smoke. - they look bad (
Not happy with colors too.

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by DragonDePlatino

Hmm...the metapixel look doesn't look that great. When you're working with pixelart, you want all of the pixels to be the same size and aligned or you get an unsettling look...the small O's on the clouds, misalignment of the ? block and outlines on the boxes don't fit in well with the rest of the work...I suggest you halve the size of your pixels, work on that scale, then resize it back to what it is now.

Yeah I know it's all misaligned that is exactly what I was trying to do. In fact unsettling is what I was trying to do. With that said, ugly is not what I was going for and I realize that it isn't very good looking. Thanks for you're feedback anyway

Posted By: CELS
Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by EZKOI

This looks like a hybrid between Super Mario and Commander Keen 4. Which is cooler than an ice cream lasagne.

It seems a bit too big though. And it looks weird to have Luigi so very detailed, and everything else so very plain. Hopefully, this is what you intended to work on.

Posted By: TombReaper
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:21am
I'm working on reinterpreting this screen:

This is my WIP:

I want to make it sewer-ish.
Any comments or critics are welcome

Posted By: StoneStephenT
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:52am
@TombReaper: Wow, love the background idea. Fits well with the sewer pipe /underground motif of the original game.

Also, to everyone else: amazing work on your entries so far. I cant even begin to decide which ones Ill end up voting for this week.

Posted By: Lehmure
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:26pm
 Well, i don't know how to use 13 colors, but this is my wip now:

Posted By: IceyPinkLemons
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 9:33pm
Hi. :D

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/IceyPinkLemons/media/MarioChallenge.png.html">

Just decided to pop in on the fun of this challenge, though I'm not too far in yet. :3 I'm going for a semi-realistic yet sullen look.

Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:14pm
Taking a slightly different approach.
I'm liking this version better.

Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:30pm
- Eh.... -

Posted By: IceyPinkLemons
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:54pm
@ CraftyPixel - ERHMAGERD, dat is so pretty. O n O I really love the color choice and the shininess of everythang.

Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:39pm
I've been working on commissions and my gameboy tiles so haven't done much to this:

-------------

Posted By: ||||
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:59pm
Great work everyone so far, this has been an amusing W.C.
I don't have enough time to invest in an actual entry so, for light entertainment purposes only:

Posted By: Darkoeuf2
Date Posted: 01 June 2013 at 6:37am
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=242821MarioRPG.png">
Here is a begining.
 Is it to much old school?

Posted By: TombReaper
Date Posted: 01 June 2013 at 2:10pm

Here's an update, any suggestions? critics?

Date Posted: 01 June 2013 at 10:52pm
@TombReaper - Up the contrast!!!!

-------------

Posted By: trisisri
Date Posted: 02 June 2013 at 2:56am
I'm pretty happy with this, but there's way to much dead space at the moment, and I'm not sure what to do about it (or the coins that should be in the shot)

Posted By: x-death
Date Posted: 02 June 2013 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by trisisri

I'm pretty happy with this, but there's way to much dead space at the moment, and I'm not sure what to do about it (or the coins that should be in the shot)

the green stuff (im assuming slime) that is coming down wouldnt that affect the amount of ice or snow in the air that is going through it?

anyway if you want to add in the coins maybe you could draw an empty money bag on the ground with some coins up in the air. and the ones in the cold wind or snow or whatever it is can have ice on them.

do you like my idea?

Posted By: Emperor_Pixel
Date Posted: 02 June 2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by x-death

Originally posted by trisisri

<FONT style=": #eeeeee">

the green stuff (im assuming slime) that is coming down wouldnt that affect the amount of ice or snow in the air that is going through it?

anyway if you want to add in the coins maybe you could draw an empty money bag on the ground with some coins up in the air. and the ones in the cold wind or snow or whatever it is can have ice on them.

do you like my idea?

I'm assuming that is not snow. It's dust.
I think the picture is GREAT. Both in perspective and "part of the level location". The light coming from up is also a very nice touch. If you add the coins, I'd tell you to add a reflecting light on them.

Date Posted: 02 June 2013 at 10:03pm
Don't even think I'll submit this, I have the flu and I can see it in my pixel skill. This looks terrible. I honestly think it was better with the empty BG:

-------------

Print Page | Close Window