Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 5/4/2009: Circled

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8313
Printed Date: 18 June 2019 at 11:30am

Topic: CHALLENGE 5/4/2009: Circled
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 5/4/2009: Circled
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 1:23am

CHALLENGE: Circled

http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm - Mr. Lollige challenges you to create a scene, of any subject, using the circle template below. You are not allowed to go outside the boundaries of the circle.

Your image must be a scene, this means it must include some kind of background. You cannot create just a single object.

Canvas Size - Use this template:

Javascript:void%280%29;">

Colors - Unrestricted.
Transparenecy - Required. However, the only transparency must be outside the circle.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1136' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Circled pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/42575.htm' target='_blank'>Monolithic Circle by /p/9929.htm' target='_blank'>Kaiseto
/pixelart/42681.htm' target='_blank'>Trick! by /p/16233.htm' target='_blank'>Peach
/pixelart/42684.htm' target='_blank'>Turret View by /p/21428.htm' target='_blank'>Scribblette

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/42486.htm' target='_blank'>UTBEG by /p/21903.htm' target='_blank'>Spindly
/pixelart/42653.htm' target='_blank'>Circle of Loss by /p/21844.htm' target='_blank'>Endurion
/pixelart/42679.htm' target='_blank'>Curious angels, sneaky devil by /p/9774.htm' target='_blank'>Bubu
/pixelart/42595.htm' target='_blank'>desolate by /p/21833.htm' target='_blank'>monotov
/pixelart/42605.htm' target='_blank'>the occupants by /p/21999.htm' target='_blank'>washburn
/pixelart/42675.htm' target='_blank'>The seal. by /p/1084.htm' target='_blank'>de Thch
/pixelart/42668.htm' target='_blank'>Plate of Tsunami! by /p/17720.htm' target='_blank'>tripnfelt
/pixelart/42487.htm' target='_blank'>Here, Have An Orbit. by /p/21092.htm' target='_blank'>Ekoi
/pixelart/42481.htm' target='_blank'>Pluto...? by /p/13995.htm' target='_blank'>Onichi
/pixelart/42649.htm' target='_blank'>little world by /p/21803.htm' target='_blank'>unicorngirl
/pixelart/42670.htm' target='_blank'>Penguin by /p/22061.htm' target='_blank'>EyeballKid
/pixelart/42669.htm' target='_blank'>Super Katamari Galaxy by /p/22003.htm' target='_blank'>ShoySlayer
/pixelart/42646.htm' target='_blank'>African Sunset by /p/21873.htm' target='_blank'>SuperKirby
/pixelart/42576.htm' target='_blank'>Vicarious - Pt 1 by /p/21399.htm' target='_blank'>darchangel
/pixelart/42561.htm' target='_blank'>Challenge - Target by /p/20177.htm' target='_blank'>Tapiokaman
/pixelart/42664.htm' target='_blank'>Winternacht by /p/12521.htm' target='_blank'>Morgengrauen
/pixelart/42658.htm' target='_blank'>Peaceful Path by /p/22025.htm' target='_blank'>Clickety
/pixelart/42546.htm' target='_blank'>Fishing Trip - Circle Challenge by /p/20306.htm' target='_blank'>dpixel
/pixelart/42682.htm' target='_blank'>Circles by /p/21569.htm' target='_blank'>BK!
/pixelart/42512.htm' target='_blank'>The Curious Case of the Inside-Out Planet by /p/21842.htm' target='_blank'>Captain Kong
/pixelart/42594.htm' target='_blank'>Sunset by /p/21037.htm' target='_blank'>CassioRenan
/pixelart/42536.htm' target='_blank'>Space Circle by /p/21743.htm' target='_blank'>FrostedMayhem
/pixelart/42498.htm' target='_blank'>Mountain Landscape by /p/21567.htm' target='_blank'>Peeter
/pixelart/42665.htm' target='_blank'>The Discworld by /p/21713.htm' target='_blank'>Perkele

Replies:
Posted By: Crylar
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 8:53am
Posting a WIP :p

Posted By: Reo
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 9:53am
So am I :p

Posted By: tuaarita
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 10:07am
booooriing challenge

-------------
I'm running in the desert,
running in to the sun,
running out of blood
and I'm going numb.

Posted By: Tarenken
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 12:34pm
IMO this is my kind of challenge - few restrictions but still restrictive enough to be called a 'challenge'.
I just started something really good and JPG'd it...  kinda too frustrated to attempt again right now, but might try again later.

Posted By: Peeter
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 2:02pm
I'll continue tomorrow.

WIP

Posted By: TMH
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:28pm
im really liking reo's right now

-------------

Posted By: dusanvf
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:41pm
Can it be a sphere? with perspective?

Posted By: ellie-is
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:58pm
Can it be a snowglobe? :P

Posted By: Argyle
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 8:10pm
The possibilities are endless so long as you stay within the simple guidelines

- it has to be within the shape template (nothing outside of the circle)
- it must be a scene of some sort.  A snowglobe can be a scene, sphere perspective is a scene.  That all works.  It's really subjective.

Posted By: Elk
Date Posted: 04 May 2009 at 9:12pm
sounds cool
I'll enter ^^

Posted By: Setzer
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:26am

progress so far, not sure if I'll get around to finishing this or not.

-------------
http://sj-gfx.com">

Posted By: Dirteater
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Setzer

progress so far, not sure if I'll get around to finishing this or not.

Dude you so need to finish that, its so damn awesome

Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 3:30am
hey setzer i love your avatar!!!

Posted By: Setzer
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 4:39am
Thank you very much Elk :)

I think I'm done, but not sure.

-------------
http://sj-gfx.com">

Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 12:17pm
1 more transistion color wouldnt hurt :3

Posted By: Peeter
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:47pm
yay, I'm done.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/42498.htm">

click for the full version.

Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:49pm
A ver early wip just to get an idea of where to place stuff. Have to leave now so I thought I should post it. x)

The water is going to be a bitch to shade. :/

Posted By: sapphira83
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:51pm
this may be difficult for me since my laptop is off (damn charger broke) and im trying to balance drawing the picture and schoolwork and family (i'll do much as i can while i still have free time and post my wip tomorrow).

Posted By: Stratto
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 2:25pm

It's still a wip, but I've had a week of no school so far, and there's still one week left so i''l be working on this ALOT.

-------------

Posted By: Claredeth
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Stratto

It's still a wip, but I've had a week of no school so far, and there's still one week left so i''l be working on this ALOT.

For the sake of nostalgia I'm voting for that.

Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 5:07pm
I just realized this isn't a scene, so I'm not sure if i can submit the finished piece in the challenge.. 

Posted By: Ekoi
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 7:10pm
Make it look like it's entering the atmosphere, with heat and friction and such, and it could be a scene.

-------------
I can do a lot of things, I just never bother to do most of them.

Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 7:33pm
It's a good idea but it would be very difficult to do and not go out of the template, but i'll try it anyway.
Edit: Here's an update anyways

Posted By: BK!
Date Posted: 05 May 2009 at 8:24pm
Posting my WIP.

Posted By: Hapiel
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 1:31am
I am back from my vacation :D
And immediately I was asked to look at this. And Stratto, I really like your entry, but I am afraid that when approving it there might be more people doing the same kind of stuff but not with that amount of quality.

So, there is two choises for you: Finishing it as you had in mind, without submitting it to the challenge
Changing it in that way that I can cal it a scene. Maybe add some clouds on top of it, or shrink the moon (you could cut off a part. Or drag the moon upwards to the right, so that the full moon is not in the canvas, and there is room for other stuff to be visible)

-------------

Posted By: darchangel
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 4:16am
Are we allowed only one entry or can I do more? I have a few ideas but I'm not sure which one to choose.

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 4:29am
You can enter as many times as you want.

-------------

Posted By: Endurion
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 6:53am
Here's a WIP. When thinking of a scene this seemed like a good idea. Let's see if I can make it better yet. Obviously there's still a bit of scenery missing.

Posted By: Argyle
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 10:16am

Three scene concepts I'm considering.  All in very rough sketch stages, obviously, while I consider which ones to attempt and to see if it leads me to thinking of any other new ideas.  I'm strongly considering making an animation of these for the fun of animating frames distorted in a fisheye style.  Will probably make the skateboarder a more stylized monster when I have time to do more beyond sketching while on break at the office.

Posted By: Manttana
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:41am

cat yawning on the branch...

any suggestions how to improve cats fur to look more hairy?

Posted By: Perkele
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:18pm
A very early WIP, hope I'll finish this in time. By the way, this is meant to be the discworld (anyone knows it?).

Posted By: Allas
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:26pm
A Discworld! I wish you luck with it. I'd place the turtle lower so you can fit there elephants and a disc. Good luck again.

Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 12:35pm
Great, another Pratchett-fan! Yep, you're right, thanks.

Posted By: Macropsia
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 2:36pm
Don't forget the meteor craters on A'Tuin's shell!

Posted By: CommanderD97
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 2:39pm
never mind

Posted By: BK!
Date Posted: 06 May 2009 at 5:34pm

My picture so far. Not sure if I am done.
Suggestions? Thnx in advance.

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Macropsia

Don't forget the meteor craters on A'Tuin's shell!

Alreay did some on the body, but there'll of course follow some on the shell ;)

Posted By: hsn2555
Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:45am
Originally posted by StickyTape

Three scene concepts I'm considering.  All in very rough sketch stages, obviously, while I consider which ones to attempt and to see if it leads me to thinking of any other new ideas.  I'm strongly considering making an animation of these for the fun of animating frames distorted in a fisheye style.  Will probably make the skateboarder a more stylized monster when I have time to do more beyond sketching while on break at the office.

the 1st 1'd be the best

Posted By: Peach
Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:09am
Originally posted by StickyTape

I sketched a skateboard scene too, but as I can see it's a quite different pose... dunno if I should change subject

Posted By: dpixel
Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:35am
I'd go for it.  That's what a challenge is all about.  Even if it's the same subject, no two pixel art peices will be the same.  I say: "More skateboards" 

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:26am
Damn, I think I might have to quit, again. Can only be on the computer about one hour a day and its not enough to finish my entry, since I do other stuff on the comp too, not just pixelling. I guess I ll finish it and submit it after the challenge then.

Not that anyone cares :P

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:44am

Done with the turtle, except the shell. This will still be a lot of work, I 'm not sure, whether I'll be fast enough.

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:19am
nice work perkele... already thinking at the scene itself?

Date Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:08pm
You need to finish it Perkele, so far it's looking sweet. Looking forward to the complete scene...

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:40am
Thanks guys  Completed the discworld itself, now the elephants and the background are waiting..

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 8:23am
Perkele, just a critique: the world disc seems too much grainy imho
although I love the concept.

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 8:56am
Any idea how to improve it?

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:24am
dear god...

i'm having a mental block cause im trying to figure out how to pixel trees *goes into fetal position* anyone knows of any tree/nature tutorials?

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 10:47am
Is it supposed to be one of those myths about the world being held by elephants turtles and a strong man or something?
It's coming out pretty great

Posted By: Ergg
Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 11:38am
Perkele > You MUST make a good things for the memory of Terry Pratchett ^^. However your beggining seems good. I just think you use too much dithering.

Posted By: monotov
Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 12:13pm
my entry WIP so far

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 1:57pm
updated WIP

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 2:07pm
Have you seen this topic, from Pixelation?

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8291.0 - http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8291.0

It might have what you need

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:17pm
i'll try to get as much done before the deadline. can't promise anything though. thanks darchangel

Posted By: Scribblette
Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:20pm
I thought my ears were burning. ^_^

Trees can be a nightmare and may easily push you past the deadline. You're better off throwing a highway and an urban landscape in the background and leaving the viewer with a horrible feeling in the pit of their belly that bambi is going to be road kill, or some such. ;)

You may find helpful work on PJ by other artists - search for bushes etc, but also look at trees in Big Brother's ORC piece, and several by Fool.

Question: If I upload and submit a weekly challenge and then get critique to improve it post-challenge, do I upload it again separately or replace the existing upload?

-------------
Current state: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8291.0 - Trees. SOB. The trees!! Why can't you have just been nice little CUBES instead?

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:38pm
i know what u mean...trees r a b**** to draw (first timer).

u can upload the revised pic...i think. that is what i normally do.

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:58pm
I feel your pain, I'm not good with trees either.

Here is a WIP of the next image in my Vicarious series...right now everything is starting to look the same 

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/darchangelx/WIP.png">

Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:20pm
Ah, about the circle - how far from perfect is it? Using a slightly smaller circle inside it, I'm wondering whether the internal shape would need to be corrected differently, or some such.

-------------
Current state: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8291.0 - Trees. SOB. The trees!! Why can't you have just been nice little CUBES instead?

Posted By: Endurion
Date Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:56pm
Impressive entries as usual, here's my probably final version:

Date Posted: 09 May 2009 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Perkele

reduce dithering as much as you can, and use it only when necessary.

Posted By: tripnfelt
Date Posted: 09 May 2009 at 2:45am
2 days left and I just started, my idea is a Chinese hand painted plate kinda thing, not sure what the scene will be. thinking mountains, temples, clouds, river, peacocks and all the traditional imagery with a very pastille palette, lots of ideas I just hope I can find time.

I know it's not anything yet just posting to ask will it be allowed? as it will be an object with a scene on it.

Date Posted: 09 May 2009 at 8:45am
I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed, you are using the template and will include a scene

Date Posted: 09 May 2009 at 10:26am
So this has been about 2 hours work (yes I'm slow) I think I'll need at least that time again to finish it to standard  which I'm not sure i'll find before the deadline. Anyway it's just basically layed out - any crit as yet?

Posted By: monotov
Date Posted: 09 May 2009 at 10:57am
Very good!
The wave is very well done :D

Date Posted: 09 May 2009 at 7:06pm
Recognize the famous painting in there, whatchamacallit... so many views of Mount Fuji or some such.

-------------

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 09 May 2009 at 11:36pm
Doubt I'll get to finish this...

...but I have my first piece of the year for the 'clean your HD' challenge

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Date Posted: 10 May 2009 at 12:30am
http:// - @tripnfelt: hokusai rulez
@jalonso: you damn bastard! that piece is going to be outstanding

this is my WIP:

but this week the priority was my online portfolio for working purposes and it seems hard to finish pixxeling in time... :( 

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 10 May 2009 at 12:40am
@Jal:

wow awesome  Gas would be proud.

Although some problems at the moment:

the fading off into the distance seems a bit jerky. The colours don't seem to fade off smoothly, especially around the 7th (?) frame (sorry, I haven't actually checked) and near the end where he still remains relatively dark against the lighter background.

The fading off movement could do with some work as well, towards the end the squid appears to go a bit fast. As he's a lot further away, he should take longer to move off the screen. Right now he sort of zooms off.

Perhaps you should ease off the dithering on the metal a bit, especially near the bottom, as I think it is looking a bit flat...

Some of the AA within the inner circle could be improved, particularly on the top left and right, where things look a bit linear rather than circular.

-------------

Posted By: Clickety
Date Posted: 10 May 2009 at 4:27am
Heya, I only just joined the forum, but I found this place very interesting. ^^

I rarely do pixel art, normally I just sprite, so I'd like to know what you guys think of my first piece. http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/entry__r1866220251.gif - http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/entry__r1866220251.gif
Is there anything wrong with what I'm doing, or have done?

Date Posted: 10 May 2009 at 8:18am
Amazing as always Jal.

Date Posted: 10 May 2009 at 8:54am
\m/ HOKUSAI! Thanks for liking it those who did.

Another WIP; So I started the cliffs and cliff paths (still scribbles) and they kinda fall outta the whole oriental style with the rest of it, should I continue to make the cliffs like this or has someone got a good ref pic of oriental style cliffs and paths I could try, google images isn't helping me much.

The clouds I'll go back to and do last, Have I made anything worse? The waves and temple aren't finished but they are finished to a point that I could submit if I run outta time. Any crits and suggestions? like the temple should have stairs etc?

Date Posted: 10 May 2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Peach

Originally posted by Perkele

reduce dithering as much as you can, and use it only when necessary.

Tried to use less, but it looked quite strange. However, I finally submitted mine, hope I still have some chances to win.
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/42665.htm - http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/42665.htm

Jalonso, if you submit this, grr

Posted By: tuaarita
Date Posted: 10 May 2009 at 9:50am
Originally posted by tripnfelt

I love Hokusai. Awesome.

-------------
I'm running in the desert,
running in to the sun,
running out of blood
and I'm going numb.

Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 3:09am
Jaaal!!! I miss your pixel for the contest :(

Posted By: Morden
Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 8:03am
Whoops! I guess I missed the competition! Or did I? Is there a chance of submitting this anyway? If not, tough luck. This is my very first image to appear on the Pixel Joint boards - as you can see I'm not too good at this whole drawing / pixel art thing. I gave it a shot anyway. So here it goes:

I drew this up using Colors for Nintendo DS and finished it in Graphics Gale on the PC. Doesn't come close to what I've seen around here, but that's my entry. Well, not an entry since I'm late.

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 11 May 2009 at 10:21pm
The problem with your entry is a common mistake made by those new to pixelart. The thing is that its not pixelart, this is drawing with the mouse/oekaki.
Careful pixel placement is key. See tutorial section or resource section.

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: Morden
Date Posted: 12 May 2009 at 12:34am
Yea, I thought it falls more into a drawing category, but I thought it came out kind of cool so I posted it anyway. I did alot of pixel by pixel editing as well, plus the clouds weren't there when I drew it. I promise to do better next time around. Hehe.

Date Posted: 18 May 2009 at 5:21am
Aw, I came third! :D I actually expected two other pieces to put mine even lower, so I'm very happy to be in good company!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window