Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 7/6/2009: Multi-Purpose Portrai

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8700
Printed Date: 25 June 2019 at 9:16am

Topic: CHALLENGE 7/6/2009: Multi-Purpose Portrai
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 7/6/2009: Multi-Purpose Portrai
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:02am

CHALLENGE: Multi-Purpose Portrait

From challenge winner ../../../../p/9929.htm - Kaiseto comes this week's challenge. Create either a 1/2 body or a 3/4 body portrait of a character that could be used during a dialogue sequence in a game. Some examples of this are http://i40.tinypic.com/oa106u.gif - shown here (Clockwise from top left: Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Prince of Persia: The Fallen King, The World Ends With You). Remember, the bottom-right image is an example of what not to do.

The character can be anything as long as it is capable of speech. The pixel art should be the character only. Everything outside the character should be fully transparent.

You are to make a portrait that can be used with multiple dialogs; the expression must be suitable for all three of the dialogues listed below:

• I have lost my crystal, will you find it and bring it to me? 
  • We don't have much time left to save the princess.
  • I am thankful for your help in my quest.

Canvas Size - Max 180 x 240.
Colors - Max 32.
Transparency - Required.
Animation - Optional.

Visual sample portraits.

NOTE WHICH IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp - submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8 - WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1145' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Multi-Purpose Portrait pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/44733.htm' target='_blank'>Weekly - Got haemorrhoids but still on the road! by /p/8625.htm' target='_blank'>asukicco
/pixelart/44727.htm' target='_blank'>Dragon Portrait by /p/9929.htm' target='_blank'>Kaiseto
/pixelart/44761.htm' target='_blank'>"I have to confide something to you..." by /p/22854.htm' target='_blank'>Manjaman

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/44756.htm' target='_blank'>Totora Carrizo - portrait by /p/3025.htm' target='_blank'>Death-Auron
/pixelart/44826.htm' target='_blank'>Iodine by /p/21883.htm' target='_blank'>X0-000
/pixelart/44750.htm' target='_blank'>Rangiku (Bleach) by /p/11429.htm' target='_blank'>The_Merc_FCS
/pixelart/44739.htm' target='_blank'>Retired Biochemist by /p/21045.htm' target='_blank'>a3um
/pixelart/44714.htm' target='_blank'>Monk by /p/16628.htm' target='_blank'>geminoid
/pixelart/44743.htm' target='_blank'>Mercenary by /p/23111.htm' target='_blank'>mist
/pixelart/44656.htm' target='_blank'>rocky the penguin says... by /p/22368.htm' target='_blank'>orenshtiv
/pixelart/44765.htm' target='_blank'>- Orego - by /p/22954.htm' target='_blank'>kodoktua
/pixelart/44776.htm' target='_blank'>Native Seika would like to battle! by /p/11997.htm' target='_blank'>Tarenken
/pixelart/44767.htm' target='_blank'>Beethro Budkin by /p/22334.htm' target='_blank'>zch
/pixelart/44655.htm' target='_blank'>The old magician by /p/17926.htm' target='_blank'>marcheto
/pixelart/44718.htm' target='_blank'>ghost of a guard by /p/22552.htm' target='_blank'>newDAN
/pixelart/44783.htm' target='_blank'>Going GaGa by /p/18217.htm' target='_blank'>susuwataris
/pixelart/44810.htm' target='_blank'>Plume by /p/12253.htm' target='_blank'>FrostPumpkin
/pixelart/44771.htm' target='_blank'>Rua Elzee - Portrait by /p/5564.htm' target='_blank'>Azrael
/pixelart/44623.htm' target='_blank'>Sailor Shark says... by /p/19218.htm' target='_blank'>Jeremy
/pixelart/44797.htm' target='_blank'>Random character design thing by /p/16489.htm' target='_blank'>matt0
/pixelart/44809.htm' target='_blank'>Crystal Hunter by /p/22440.htm' target='_blank'>Ninja Crow
/pixelart/44674.htm' target='_blank'>Mudokon (Weekly Challenge) by /p/18647.htm' target='_blank'>Prenn Saranda
/pixelart/44734.htm' target='_blank'>OMG! - Portrait Challenge by /p/12808.htm' target='_blank'>Zccc
/pixelart/44667.htm' target='_blank'>Multi Purp Toon by /p/22337.htm' target='_blank'>TropicalSnowcone
/pixelart/44681.htm' target='_blank'>Walliam the Walrus - Ambassador from Walarus by /p/16320.htm' target='_blank'>Ndsfreak
/pixelart/44622.htm' target='_blank'>Portrait by /p/10654.htm' target='_blank'>kvetacek
/pixelart/44801.htm' target='_blank'>AA. by /p/10563.htm' target='_blank'>Tipleloop
/pixelart/44735.htm' target='_blank'>Character by /p/18578.htm' target='_blank'>Sev_4
/pixelart/44738.htm' target='_blank'>Steampunk mad scientist. by /p/20804.htm' target='_blank'>bonehead11

Replies:
Posted By: AngelOTG
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:05am
Haha, this should be fun. :P

*gets to work*

I plan on entering this one!

Okay, question:

Do we really have to make it suit ALL of those lines? That'd be exceedingly difficult to match. D:

Posted By: yuji
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:22am
Hmm, I have an idea...

May work on this for my first challenge...

Yuji

Posted By: Timbit
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:18am
Yes yes yes yes! I'm in this one fo' sho'.

BUT, I know it's a challenge, but the rules essentially want us to create a single expression for asking a polite question, stating a desprate fact, and thanking someone. the 1st and 3rd can be turned sinister and the character with a smirk or something, but that is incompatible with the 2nd.

"The character can be anything so long as it is capable of speech"...hmmm!

I guess it's open to interpretation! The ideas are already conjuring in my head!

Posted By: ellie-is
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 6:13am
"The character can be anything so long as it is capable of speech"
Does that means that I can make a rock with a mouth? :P

Seriously though, this sounds fun. Got a few ideas in mind that might work.

Posted By: dusanvf
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:11am
So, it's gotta be just the character? or with backgrounds like the examples here?

Posted By: Elk
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:39am
Interesting, I'm in

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:53am
Originally posted by dusanvf

So, it's gotta be just the character? or with backgrounds like the examples here?

"The pixel art should be the character only. Everything outside the character should be fully transparent."

-------------

Posted By: susuwataris
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:35am
Just an early WIP:

What do you guys think about it? Is it OK for a 3/4 body portrait?

It is obviously inspired by Lady GaGa's look, which I personally love.

Posted By: orenshtiv
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:44am
I really like those games but I don't thinkim gonna challenge this time..
because I've just finished a giant project,wanna see it? over here:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/44615.htm - http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/44615.htm
oh well,good luck everyone!.

Posted By: asukicco
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 10:53am

Early Wip.
Planning on giving him a huge sword on his back.

There will also be a version good for: "What are these strawberries doing on my nipples, I need them for the for the fruit salad!"

-------------
██████

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Angel of the Great

...Do we really have to make it suit ALL of those lines? That'd be exceedingly difficult...

Yes! there lies the challenge.

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:13pm
Nice work there asukicco =)

Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:32pm
Thank you Elk!

Some quick upadte:

Does the thing in his throat looks like a big Adam's apple?

-------------
██████

Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:37pm
Great job on is so far man! And yeah, it does. Maybe you should make it a bit more pointy though?

Posted By: imera
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:38pm
WOW asukicco,wonderful face and shading, I shouldn't even bother entring this :P

and susuwataris, looks great to, love the hair :D

Posted By: Dai
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:05pm
Here's my wip

Something seems a little off to me, but I don't know, maybe it's just that it's not done. D:

*_* And asukicco, yours is looking amazing!! I can't wait to see it finished~

Posted By: imera
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:41pm
Dai :: thehead shape towards the ear needs a little work, and the eye is going to far back, the rest seem to be great actually :D

Posted By: AngelOTG
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 2:53pm
Damn it! D:

I'll... just go ahead and make my idea and hope I can come up with sense in the other line. :P

Posted By: Manjaman
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 3:34pm
Asukicco : great shading and line art ! Make me think to a colonial adventurer, I don't know why... Maybe you should remove the shoulder straps, or just redefine them, because they don't correspond to your character's personnality. Anyway, go ahead, this is amazing.

Posted By: monotov
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 5:04pm
I am eager to see your work guys.

Posted By: jeremy
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:23pm
Everyone seems to be doing the "hands raised" thing :D

Posted By: RollerKingdom
Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:04pm
jeremy i am loving the shark ^_^

Date Posted: 06 July 2009 at 10:18pm

An update, large planes are rather difficult to shade this way :(

*EDIT*
http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/sharktrans.gif">
Finished o_O

Posted By: linx
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 5:19am
You people remind me of why i never did try entering a challenge XD.
Well i decided i must at least get one green ribbon :D, so im trying out this one

Still WIP of course

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:25am
Jeremy, thats a nice idea. Since sharks always look angry, he could be saying any of those stuff. :P

linx: I think the thingies on her shirt look a bit weird. Her breasts are also a little weird.

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:59am
Yup i officially fail at folds :P, its still a WIP though, or else she would have arms XD

Posted By: eckered
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 7:36am
"I have lost my crystals, will you find them and bring them to me?"

Posted By: Dai
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:26am
Jeremy, your shark looks AWESOME. :O

linx, I think you could fix the problem with the breasts by not putting such a harsh outline underneath them towards the midde.

eckered- looks kind of creepy but awesome work so far XD

Here's an update on mine. I'm happy with her hair for sure. Not sure about the dress yet... Also, fixed the problem with her head shape... I think. xD I got rid of the floating hairs because they were just distracting and didn't look too good. I might re-add them later. Dunno.

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:32am
Eckred: Great, but his hand looks a little weird.
Dai: I cant see she saying the last thing. Maybe you should change her face a bit?

Posted By: r1k
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:42am
linx I did an edit of yours, which I kind of got carried away with but I included all the steps I took so hopefully thats of help

dont pay attention to the arms I just threw those on at the last second for the sake of having arms.  I couldnt tell whether you were trying to draw the body at a frontal view or 3/4 view because the face looked like it was at 3/4 but the body looked frontal.  But I figured that ussualy when people talk to each other they dont have their head and body turned different directions so I did it all in 3/4 view.  It might be good to draw a central line down her body to keep every thing in perspective, remember in 3/4 view the central line is closer to one side of the body.  You might disagree with the colors, but I tried shifting the skin a little towards purple and the shirt more towards blue so it would all go together with the purple hair.  Also I think you have too many colors on yours right now, some of the colors are too similar.  Hope that helps some.

eckered, that quote is halarious with that guy, cool idea.

dai, I think yours looks a little too gray all over.  Maybe try adding a bit of saturation to just either the shadows or highlights.  I mean I think its okay to have it desaturated but maybe not all over.

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:50am
Ah thanks for the help, i wish i wouldve refreshed before i did my newest version :P

Ah well either ill start from scratch or finish the arms and post this one. I still have a lot of time though, so ill probably start over.

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 9:04am

Added legs and played a lot with contrasts.
Mmmmh, shorts, I think he's quite handsome, ladies.

-------------
██████

Posted By: Dirteater
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 10:05am
Originally posted by asukicco

Added legs and played a lot with contrasts.
Mmmmh, shorts, I think he's quite handsome, ladies.

Ahh this is great, cant wait to see it totally perfected, you make it look easy!

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 10:20am
Here's my work finished

I know it won't work at all, but I don't have time to make another one.

@asukicco: that's totally beautiful!

Posted By: slym
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Jeremy

An update, large planes are rather difficult to shade this way :(

*EDIT*

http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/sharktrans.gif">

Finished o_O

the teeth need a little more work. The top look like they are behind are level with the bottom teeth. If you look at the mouth for a while, the teeth look like the are actually going inward into the sharks mouth. I suggest adding darker depth to the bottom set of teeth and moving the top set of teeth to the right a few pixels.

Posted By: Shadow-gamer
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 3:26pm

Here is my guy so far. It is in a comic book like style; this is my first time posting my WIP in for a challenge.

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 3:31pm
Same here, but that doesnt look like a 3/4 or 1/2 portrait to me. Its more of a full pose.

Posted By: Shadow-gamer
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by linx

Same here, but that doesnt look like a 3/4 or 1/2 portrait to me. Its more of a full pose.

Eh, that's fine. If it doesn't fit in the challenge then I'll just submit it normally.

Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:49pm
Or you can just cut some of his legs and make he fit the chalenge?

Posted By: cassiechihuahua
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:56pm
Thats great, Eckered, xD!

Posted By: Azrael
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 1:38am
hi, can i use my game asset for entry of this challange? i currently working on that too, if i can submit it, it would be great, thanks :D

-------------
If you want it done rite, U gotta do it yourself!

Posted By: Ninja Crow
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 2:45am
We have to save the princess!

Here's my concept art for a character portrait - I really love this challenge, Kaiseto, thanks!

Where's my crystal?

And here's a value (shading) render that I'm trying in mono.  I hope to convert to a hue (chroma) render when it's finished.

I'd love c+c on it - thanks!

p.s. - So many great works developing (Jeremy, your shark is terrific) that I'm really inspired to live up to them (Asukicco, dig your warrior).

Posted By: orenshtiv
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 3:13am
Here's my submission:
../files/icons/full/pengy.png">
"Thnkx for helping me in my quest dude!"

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Ninja Crow

Was that really made by you?

When I compare your pixelart and this, I see alot of deformations in your pixelart that are completely out of place and not compareable to the volume of this piece.

Simply comparing this to your thing are 2 different worlds,more or less, in terms of shading, so far.

EITHER that...or you have completely no idea how to shade :)!

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:53am

I think this is ok. If anyone have something to say, please go ahead, I'm feeling like working on this a lot more.
I'm having a loads of fun with this challenge.

EDIT: noticed some issues with layers' overlapping. Downloading GIMP to fix this.
EDIT2: Fixed.

-------------
██████

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:52pm
[sorry my connection is mischievous]

Posted By: dpixel
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:54pm

Dai, The hair is awesome.  In fact the whole thing is awesome.  Love the style.

asukicco,  That's just some crazy animation.  Really nice job!

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:54pm
Wow O.o He's just enormous ! I don't see anything you could improve...

What I have so far :

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 1:09pm
Manjaman, your's great and unique. Complimenti!
But make sure you can adapt him to all the sentences.

Really good job.

-------------
██████

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 1:21pm
I think it would be ok, I imagined a few details that could go well with each sentence. Thanks mate !

Posted By: Perkele
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 3:33pm
This is probably one of the challenges with the most awesome entries - certainly difficult to vote.

Posted By: Randommonkies
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 4:38pm
question: is doing a character with a mask cheating or just lazy?
...or acceptable?

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 5:06pm
What do you think of this ? I'm not satisfied by the leather on the right side. Tell me if you think it's ok... or not. Any remark would be welcome !

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:02pm
Its looking great but wonder if you are following the rules??? You are certainly working the line.
E: Oops! you are following the rules, my bad.

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 10:30pm
asukicco that is amazingly good!

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 11:00pm
this is will be my entry, is it followed the rules enough?

• I have lost my crystal, will you find it and bring it to me? 
  • We don't have much time left to save the princess.
  • I am thankful for your help in my quest.

-------------

Posted By: Jarlaxe
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Elk

Originally posted by Ninja Crow

Was that really made by you?

When I compare your pixelart and this, I see alot of deformations in your pixelart that are completely out of place and not compareable to the volume of this piece.

Simply comparing this to your thing are 2 different worlds,more or less, in terms of shading, so far.

EITHER that...or you have completely no idea how to shade :)!

Pffffff...

Everyone is innocent until proven otherwise... or not, Elk?

Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 2:38am
Still lookin' for that crystal....

Here's an update to my value render for my planned entry.

Elk: yeh, it's mine - I sketched it a couple days ago.  It's not based on anything, but popped into me head when I read about the challenge.  I'd love to know what you mean exactly about the shading - I want to get it perfected before I start adding colour.  Thanks!

Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:23am
I have trouble to make the shirt, tell me what you think about this.

Posted By: Lahra
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:50am
Hi,
here is my part.
I still want a simple dithering.

Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:54am
This is quite good ! Maybe the hand and the pelvis look a little weird.

Posted By: Lahra
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 10:08am
so?

Posted By: dsilber
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:23am
Well, scroll down for my WIP shots, as well as the final without the transparency. 

I have a question, though: 
The contest calls for 180 x 240 pixel dimensions, but the submission page needs a version that is 100x100 or smaller.  Do I just crop some part of the image?

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:45am
The submission page only needs a preview image that is 100x100. And yes cropping is preferable for the preview image (as oppose to resizing).

Just remember to remove the magenta background when you submit it :)

-------------

Posted By: dsilber
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 1:01pm
Thanks skamocore!

I think that I submitted a final copy but didn't get any screen saying 'post submitted' or anything like that.  Hope it went through.

Posted By: geminoid
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 4:49pm

This was my entry, but it is waaaay too fast. Im kind of crappy at gif making.

Posted By: Argyle
Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 7:31pm
Watch for the strobing pixel you have blinking on his right (our left) ear.  Cute though.

"Thank you for aiding me in my quest to find the princess as well as the car keys that I lost." *turds out a glowing blue eyeball gift reward*

Date Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:12pm
@Ninja Crow: Make sure to shade according to the lightsource- why are there highlights under the hands?
Also, try to avoid having highlights on the edges of things- why is there no highlight on the big deltoid? (Open up a WIP thread!)

@Manjaman: I think the lightest skin tone is too different. I assume it's sweat? If so, maybe add a bridge tone you can also use for further highlights. The greys are a bit boring, up the saturation a little and hue shift. I'm not sure if the implied texture on the hat works either.

@Lahra: Nice lines. I like the simplicity, generally simple pieces have hard out antialiasing with which you can futher imply fur.

@Asukicco: Wow, really raised the bar

Date Posted: 10 July 2009 at 12:56am
->Jeremy : it is sweat ! Personnaly, I don't feel shocked by the lightest colour, the process seems to work since you've remarked it was sweat. I'll try to change my grey shades, but I don't understand why you find them "boring".
Nobody touches to my hat-texture >.< If someone wants to remove it, it'll be over my dead body !

Date Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:35am
Why go for a boring black opera cloak when you could have a nice hueshifty one? :P

In real life there's hardly any instances where something has the same hue and saturation throughout the shades. Have a look at a sunlit road (For example), the shadow look blue and the sunlit bit yellowy- and all this on some dull grey ashphalt :D 

Date Posted: 10 July 2009 at 3:12am
Colour?  The crystal must be near - and the end of my quest, too!

Here's an update with some chroma added.

@Jeremy: Thanks for the advice!  (That'll teach me to not skip the Plasticine lighting model just cos I'm in a hurry)  As for the light on the hands, I picture them being straight up and down, so the light is spilling over their top edge like pouring water down on a blade.  I admit that it's all in my mind's eye, though, not based on hard observation (well, I used the mirror in my loo for some of it - especially the muscles ;>).  If there's still a problem, I'll be glad to hear about it.
How's my palette this time?  Trying to keep some yellow in the highlights, and a redder, more violety colour in some of the shadows.
I designed the picture to have a dark costume, and the shading values look pretty good just as they are - but I have a few bonus colours (I'm using 28) if I need them.
Thanks!

Posted By: Death-Auron
Date Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:08pm
im doing a more KH-ish character for this one, it kinda fits i guess. I hope i have time to finish this properly and not rushed >.< i think it can fit the 3 phares, like  "Can you get me my cristal?" "We have to save the princess" and "thanks for your help." all with that cool quiet attitude this kind of characters have ;)

Date Posted: 10 July 2009 at 2:03pm
A watch for the time missing, gold for the thakings, an empty pocket with a hole for the stolen crystal...
I don't see what I could add :

Please feel free to tell me if something is : -not correct
                                                                   -missing
                                                                   -extraordinarily amazing

Date Posted: 10 July 2009 at 8:17pm
@Ninja Crow: Those colours are much better than your previous pieces' but seem a bit too washed out this time.

I've made an edit to show you what I meant in that earlier post, unfortunately don't have time for a full edit. I lowered the contrast between the two skin shades and midtone, it's a bit high atm. Those glasses' highlight, shouldn't it be to the right? That's where everything else's lightsource is. My edit has 18 colours, and they could likely be further trimmed. Those hands are a bit big too (Unless you intended so :P)

Date Posted: 10 July 2009 at 9:23pm
@Jeremy: Holy smoke!  You've anticipated the dark line I wanted to add to the skin shadows, and the 'redder' colour of the katana handle, and the worry that the harness straps were too shiny.  I would have been content with anime shading, but the way you made the muscles and facial features look so realistic - they just pop (along with my eyes).  Again, anime lighting good enough for me at this level of ninja training, but you even textured the hair.  Unbelievable!

There can be only one drawback to such amazing, kind help and tuition: there's very little I would dare to change!  How do I post something I didn't fully pixel myself - how do you feel about this?

Date Posted: 11 July 2009 at 12:20am
Anyway, it's not finished. His suit suffers from a lack of details and depth.
Sorry, I have to insist because I'm going to leave home for a while, so could you give me some comments about my sprite ?

Date Posted: 11 July 2009 at 5:16am

@Ninja Crow: Well at the very most have it next to your copy and use it as a reference (It sure as hell isn't perfect ;D). Also, I quickly changed those colours in the edit by raising saturation- That means don't use 'em as they weren't chosen by hand and are therefore NPA blah-de-blah.

One thing to note, and this applies to all the different parts of the image, is that I didn't keep that lightest skin tone at the edge of the arm. You have a big flat area on the abs and pecs- light wouldn't just strike the edge! I also eliminated an entire ramp- did you need that other grey ramp? Those other two hair colours? You'll find that not every ramp needs 5 colours. That yellow can really tie the piece together if you use it as an extreme highlight where it fits; on the belt buckle and other metal areas, perhaps? Other than that, just antialias any interior jaggies when done, then take a step back and evaluate critically. Or post here. This piece is already far superior to your avatar, keep it up :)

@Manjaman: Totally adore those gold colours!
Itty bitty nitpicks: Maybe outline a seam under the pockets? And that antialiasing between shirt and belly seems to be accentuating jaggies too.

Date Posted: 12 July 2009 at 2:47am
I submitted mine, i think that's all (removed the blush and AA'd it some more)
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/44771.htm

-------------

Posted By: bonehead11
Date Posted: 12 July 2009 at 10:24am
What the heck is wrong I submitted mine entry in friday and still it havent been approved...

Date Posted: 12 July 2009 at 3:10pm
My quest is over....

Here's the last update to my piece - I threw it together this morning and I won't have time to do more before the deadline (hope nobody points out anything I'll be desperate to fix!).

Thanks Jeremy for the edit and the advice - it was invaluable - and I think I learned a massive lot from this experience.  It was a great time.

Good luck to everybody's challenge entries, there are loads of stellar pieces!

Print Page | Close Window