The Monongahela Monster @ 5/3/2010 14:51 commented on Clockwork Whistler

Superb.

The Monongahela Monster @ 5/3/2010 13:52 commented on Day Versus Night

@ninja crow

>there'll be no living with him, now.

Nor was there before.  Nice of you to suggest otherwise, though.

The Monongahela Monster @ 5/3/2010 13:50 commented on Day Versus Night

@hatch

>Once you see it, you can't un-see it D:

The REALLY awful thing is the way everything else in the picture supports that interpretation--the pillow being slightly aloft, the lampshade and the bed recoiling from the, ah, the aft thruster, as it were...

So yeah, thanks for wrecking THAT image for me... if I find I have anything else I've labored over that I never want to be able to look at again, I'll be in touch...

The Monongahela Monster @ 5/3/2010 08:28 commented on Day Versus Night

Wow!  I can only humbly thank you all, and assure you that the substantial cash prize will be used to further the Pixel Arts.  I also want to thank my m

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THERE'S NO CASH PRIZE?!?!?!

Well, isn't this a fine how-do-you-do.  I slave all day over a hot graphics tablet, and THIS is the thanks I get.  Why am *I* the only one working on this relationship?  Etc., etc...

Seriously, though, thanks for all the kind words.

The Monongahela Monster @ 5/3/2010 08:26 commented on Mirre

First-rate.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/30/2010 19:42 commented on The Walk Cycle That Time Forgot

@ninjacrow

>the expression on that guy is priceless!

Him am thinking very hard.

Me am too.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/29/2010 05:38 commented on Girl and Pet

Superb!

...What?!  My message must be at least 15 characters long?  I can't just say, "Superb!"?  I have to add unnecessary characters just to be able to POST this?!

I won't do it.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/27/2010 16:51 commented on cerberus

It's got sort of a Santa's-Little-Helper-meets-Pet-Sematery vibe... very nice!

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/26/2010 12:01 commented on Ghost Fort

Reminds me vaguely of the bit in the Chronicles of Amber where they're high up in a castle that becomes less substantial as the sun comes up, and the one Morally Ambiguous Character Who Might Eventually Be Redeemable If He Doesn't Fall To His Death doesn't make it out in time and falls to his death.  And didn't somebody have an artificial hand that strangled people when no one was looking or something?  I don't know, it's been decades since I read those books.  Anyway, I like the contrast between the color of the clouds and the color of the ecto-castle.  Also like the shapes of the clouds, which are vaguely suggestive of animals.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/26/2010 11:53 commented on The Watchers

Grainy and mysterious.  It's almost... dare I say it... spooOOooky.  Nicely done.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/24/2010 10:51 commented on Day Versus Night

...speaking figuratively, of course.  I don't actually have any bellbottoms.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/24/2010 10:45 commented on Day Versus Night

@jalonso and Mis-BUG

I don't know, I guess the dithering might be a bit corny.  I kind of feel like that's part of the charm of a piece of pixel art, though; objecting to jagginess and dithering in pixel art is like saying you like my bellbottoms but you wonder whether they really need to be so WIDE...

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/24/2010 09:21 commented on Day Versus Night

@stickytape

>It's very calvin & hobbes.

The highest praise.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/24/2010 09:20 commented on Day Versus Night

@kaneli2000

>the texts are maybe not needed.

Yeah, probably not, but I'm not one to pass up a soap box without climbing up on it and saying a few words.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/24/2010 08:56 commented on Day Versus Night

@blueberry pie

>Only thing that kinda bothers me is how the shading on the lampshade doesn't seem to follow the object's shape.

Wow... this is a tough crowd.    But okay, I'll buy that; updated to add some modeling to that shadow.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/23/2010 17:05 commented on Ledali II -The Crystal Egg

Anybody have a walkthrough for this?  I keep getting killed by the Andalusian Dogs...

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/23/2010 09:06 commented on Frog violinist

Yeah, I agree that it'd be great to see this in motion.  What an endearing character--very nice.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/22/2010 18:56 commented on DthBn 5000

@ninja crow

>I hate to disagree with anybody - especially when they have a giant robot bunny that likes to stomp things

Just a sec--I have to set 'stomp ninja crow' to 'true'.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/22/2010 18:55 commented on DthBn 5000

@-DE-

>you could've sped it up a bit.

Ninja crow thought so too.  It's quite speedy for me, though--I think there are some variables depending on your processor, and possibly your browser, and maybe the astrological sign you were born under...

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/21/2010 14:58 commented on Crabclops

Very cute, in a gruesome way.  Reminds me of invaders-from-space movies from the 50's... you know, It Came From The Depths Of 50,000 Light Years After The Day The Earth Met Abbott And Costello... that sort of thing.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/21/2010 14:55 commented on DthBn 5000

@ninja crow

I've got the 'add link' button... it was messing up the link for some reason, though--I was trying to link right to my post, and there was a question mark in the URL, and the 'add link' function seemed to regard the question mark as an un-possible character in a web address, so it was ending the address with the character right before the question mark.  I'm sure there's a way to get it to work, but I just couldn't go the extra mile...

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/21/2010 14:47 commented on DthBn 5000

@stickman

>The bouncy ground wins it for me.

Glad you like.  I originally wanted to have all the cars in the background hop one pixel off the ground after the mech landed--first the cars on the nearer ramp, then the farther ones--as if a shockwave were traveling outwards from the landing site and making everything jump.  However, in practice it looked like it was going to take a bit more additional work than I wanted to do to get it looking right, being the lazy so-and-so that I am, so I went for the bouncy ground instead.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/20/2010 17:18 commented on DthBn 5000

@ninja crow

Whoops--I tried to post the sketch in my gallery, and it got flagged for being unfinished work.  I tried to explain, but... I don't remember much after they tased me.  I also don't seem to be able to get a link to the original post to work here.  I think maybe I'm going to give up and drown my sorrows in pizza.

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/20/2010 17:06 commented on DthBǚn sketch

Whoops.  Somebody who'd seen it in the original challenge thread requested I post it, and I didn't give it any further thought...  my apologies.

And I've had okonomiyaki, and thought it was very good, but I don't see what that's got to do with anything...

The Monongahela Monster @ 4/20/2010 15:57 commented on DthBn 5000

@robinhood

>It has a bunny in it which means it's an instant win.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.